Project Officer (Science)
Post Number : SC/PA 043
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 24-JUN-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: One (1) year with the possibility of an extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for the Natural Sciences Sector, and under the supervision of the Director of the Division of Ecological and Earth Sciences and the direct supervision of the Chief of the Section for Ecology and Biodiversity, the Project Officer will be responsible for implementing, monitoring and reporting on projects under a multi-donor fund on biodiversity and restoration of eco-systems, including the coordination of a network of experts to intervene in UNESCO designated sites.
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Implement, monitor, evaluate and report on programmes related to this multi-donor fund within the biodiversity strategy of UNESCO on restoring and conserving eco-systems and biodiversity and amplifying the power of youth and assuming one or more thematic and/or focal responsibilities, including the management of the database for the UNESCO designated sites that will provide scientific data on impacts and results of the biodiversity programmes and experts network.
- Design a relational data management system for the UNESCO designated sites (Biosphere Reserves, World Heritage sites, geoparks) including the development of guidelines and a workflow for the new data management system and provide associated training for concerned colleagues.
- Provide support to the Chief of Section in the organization and preparation of the steering committee and scientific committee of this multi -donor fund and for activities with other sectors and external partners.
- Contribute to resource mobilization by playing an active role in funding and project proposal developments, submissions and follow-up.
- Ensure technical backstopping for the programme and associated events.
- Provide support and advice to governments, peers, management and colleagues on a variety of subject specific items, such as database management, tools and resources.
- Advanced University degree (Master's or equivalent) in the field of Environment, biodiversity and/or scientific engineering.
- Minimum of four years of relevant professional experience in the field of environment, and management tools, of which preferably 2 years at the international level.
- Experience in designing, implementing and managing programmes and/or projects related to environment and biodiversity.
- Data engineering with strong experience in relational database management.
- Experience in work with geospatial data, big data and data visualization.
- Excellent communication, coordination and interpersonal skills and ability to establish good working relations with internal and external partners.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills.
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s designated sites.
- Ability to build and maintain a network with academic institutions covering the different regions of the world.
- Ability to maintain good working relations within a multicultural environment and to work effectively within a team.
- Close attention to detail and quality of work, and ability to organise work in an efficient manner.
- Ability to collect, consolidate, synthesize and analyze information from various sources including in the field.
- Knowledge of data base management and ability to perform qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Good IT skills, including knowledge of MS software (Word, Excel etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language.
- Relevant training in the field of Environment, biodiversity.
- Professional experience acquired in the United Nations System or within international organizations or professional NGOs and/or organizations for scientific data and technical cooperation.
- Demonstrated experience in programmes at different levels and proven fund-raising and resource mobilization skills.
- Experience with the online survey tool Lime Survey, Drupal and web development.
Skills and Competencies
- Data management and analysis of scientific data.
- Knowledge of other official languages of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.