Driver/Rider will work under the supervision of Administration & Facility Officer in Kenya Country Program with additional supervision from the Senior Logistics Officer in IHUB. Core responsibilities will involve but not limited to for safe driving/riding of IRC vehicles/motorcycle, ensure prompt maintenance of IRC vehicles/motorcycle, keeping record of movements, fuel consumption, tools ensuring safety of the motorcycle/ Vehicle, passengers, cargo, and other road users. Strict adherence to IRC policy rules and regulations including all Kenya Traffic Laws. The driver/Rider will be required to rapidly respond to the programs and operations needs, whilst ensuring best practices and maintaining audit-compliant records. Specific responsibilities include
• Picking up and delivering various packages/documents to specified locations as per the delivery instructions provided by dispatch staff and securing packages to prevent damage during transit.
• Maintain accurate record of packages delivered to recipients and communicate with dispatch staff to provide delivery updates and receive instructions for new deliveries.
• Delivering documents, parcels, medical supplies, and various other items to specified locations using motorcycle / vehicle and obtain recipient signature.
• Arranging regular cleaning of interior and exterior of the motorbike/vehicle and schedule regular maintenance service appointments and report any issues.
• Planning each route based on road and traffic conditions.
• Using navigation apps to determine the best route, mapping out driving routes ahead of time to determine the most expedient trip.
• Ensure the safety and security of the motorbike/vehicle.
• To transport staff, clients, visitors, donors in a comfortable, safe, and timely manner.
• Ensure the car seats are clean and comfortable for all riders and that occupant seatbelt are always on during the journey.
• Complete relevant logs and prepare reports.
• Drive/Ride Vehicles/motorcycles on road test or under normal operation as assigned by the Supervisor.
• Performing daily routine maintenance checks and always maintaining enough fuel
Making sure that daily and pre-long-distance vehicle/motorbikes checks are done and undertaken daily.
• Making sure that accurate upkeep of the vehicle/motor bicycle log sheets are done and properly filed.
• Ensure vehicles/motorcycle cleanliness and report to the supervisor any noted mechanical defects. Ensure vehicles/motorcycles are timely refueled and road worthy at all the times.
• Ensure that at all the times; drive/ride the IRC vehicles/motorcycle in accordance with the IRC policy.
• Enter all the vehicles/motorcycles timely report is submitted to the Supervisor for verification before submitting to Supply Chain Coordinator.
• Ensure that unauthorized passengers are not carried in IRC Vehicles/motorcycle in accordance with the policy.
• Ensure that the road license, inspection stickers, insurance certificate and any other mandatory documents of the vehicle(s)/motorcycles allocated is up to date.
• Ensuring that the vehicle/motorcycle you are allocated is equipped with; the first aid kits, tools, jerk, wheel spanner and spare wheel.
• To always comply with all security advisories when operating an IRC vehicle to ensure safety of vehicle/motorcycle, passengers, cargo and other road users.
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Key Result Areas:
• Effective and safe movement of staff, passengers, and cargo always while ensuring safety of other road users.
• Efficient and prompt reporting of vehicle/motorcycle defaults, follow up on repairs and maintenance to always ensure vehicle/motorcycle in safe operating conditions.
• Up to date data on vehicle/motorcycle movement, fuel consumption always and analysis of the same to determine efficiency levels.
• Promptness in picking and transporting staff, passengers and cargo as will be required in a timely fashion.
Qualifications and experience
▪ Valid driving license class BCEF/G
▪ Minimum 3 years’ experience with NGO driving/riding in Urban areas, especially in Nairobi.
▪ Knowledge of generic transport procedures and practices (NGO experience advantageous).
▪ Familiar with urban (Nairobi) and rural routes is a key requirement.
▪ Pass score on IRC driving/riding test.
▪ Written and spoken English.
▪ Be conversant with inbuilt communication systems, winches, and 4x4 accessories.
▪ Conversant with MS Office applications
Required Experience & Competencies:
• Minimum 3 years’ experience with NGO driving/riding in Urban areas, especially in Nairobi.
• Excellent communication skills.
• High level of personal initiative, pro-active problem solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Strong sense of personal integrity.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work.
• Ability to multitask.
• Flexibility and willingness to work long hours if necessary.
• Strong sense of personal integrity.