Finance and Administration Officer
Brazil (United States of America)
Finance and Administration Officer
Location: Brasília, Brazil
Type of Contract: Fixed Term Appointment
Duration of Contract: 12 months
Number of positions: 01
Application deadline: June 30th, 2021
Are you interested in international organizations and humanitarian work? Do you have experience in all aspects of finance, budget, and administration? Do you want to know how can you contribute to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030?
If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP Centre of Excellence against Hunger in Brazil, we are looking for talented and experienced professionals to join our team in Brasilia. As Finance and Administration Officer, you will work under the general supervision and reports to the Centre´s Director. In this position you are expected to manage the stewardship of WFP’s resources through monitoring financial and accounting data, analysing, reporting and providing technical advice to enable effective management of funds. You will also supervise staff, establish team priorities and prepare work plans.
About the Centre of Excellence against Hunger
WFP Centre of Excellence against Hunger in Brazil is a global hub for South-South Cooperation and capacity development in the areas of school feeding, food security and nutrition. It is an innovation that seeks to respond government and private sector demands for technical support to strengthen their national capacities and knowledge on sustainable school feeding and other food security programme and to support them in the design and implementation of these programmes. For more information, visit https://centrodeexcelencia.org.br/en/.
About the World Food Programme
WFP is the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Our mission is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, we work worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. For more information please go to https://www1.wfp.org/.
Duties and Responsabilities
Reporting directly to the Country Director, you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Support corporate finance and resource management strategies by contributing to the development of policies and procedures for the office, participating in key programmatic initiatives, and embedding value for money in these initiatives through advice on financial assessment, reporting and accounting.
- Lead on the implementation of office finance, budgeting and resource management operations, in order to support the timely and effective implementation of activities and comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Lead on the delivery of accurate financial reporting and analyses in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), ensuring accuracy, deadlines and compliance with accounting processes and corporate governance requirements.
- Provide financial assessment of partners, service providers, and other entities as needed, manage and/or carry out complex data analysis, providing conclusions with the accurate information and reports for efficient planning and decision-making, and minimize financial risk to the organisation.
- Design, implement, monitor and analyse budgets for new and ongoing projects according to the established corporate procedures and requirements.
- Ensure that bank reconciliation, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures are performed regularly and in accordance with corporate requirements.
- Manage and deliver administrative services, negotiating contracts and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
- Where necessary, oversee human resource functions related to staff benefits, recruitment of local staff, and training.
- Monitor and analyse financial and accounting data, identifying and forecasting trends, anomalies or issues, and proposing solutions to management with regards to: status of budgets, availability of funds, programme effectiveness and financial viability.
- Develop annual plans, contribute to longer term strategies and improvements to policies, systems and procedures to ensure services provided support WFP strategic objectives and are in compliance with corporate policies, standards, regulations and processes.
- Lead a team of finance, administrative staff and drivers, establishing priorities and work plans, monitoring progress, and providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Represent unit/CO at internal meetings, external meetings and events with other UN agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
- Manage the existing resources in the area of responsibility (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assets and travel management, etc.) and estimate new requirements aiming at efficiency, cost-effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services.
- Promote a culture of environmental sustainability throughout WFP by role modelling actions that drive sustainability in all administrative activities.
- Other as required.
Qualifications and experience
Education: Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Economics or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) or equivalent.
- At least seven years of postgraduate professional experience in corporate finance, resource management and administration;
- At least one year experience using SAP enterprise software application.
- At least one year of professional experience in financial project management.
- Experience in related areas of the UN System and/or international organizations is considered an advantage.
- Knowledge of WFP financial rules, regulations, policies and procedures is an asset.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Portuguese and English. Working knowledge in French and/or Spanish is an Advantage.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Internal Controls & Compliance
Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of internal controls and proper accounting procedures and systems to recommend improvements where necessary to address current weaknesses and mitigate risks to mission-critical WFP operations.
Performance Budgeting, Reporting & Analysis
Manages budget, business planning, and forecasting discussions on a programme-wide level, integrating financial resource information from a portfolio of projects to analyze effectiveness and financial viability.
Resources Management (People, time, assets, etc.)
Oversees staffing for HQ and Field resources at the programmelevel, taking resource usage trends and forecasting data into account.
Financial Management & Accounting Principles
Monitors and advises senior leaders on the financial status of projects and programmes, tracking outcomes to ensure transparent and effective utilization of resources.
The candidate must have Brazilian Nationality.
Step 1 - Go to: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings - Register and create your online CV.
Step 2 – Click on - Finance and Administration Officer - and apply to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 for your application to be considered.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.