NDMV AmeriCorps Youth Futures Associate
Atlanta (United States of America)
SCOPE OF YOUTH FUTURES
PROGRAM: The IRC’s Youth Futures Program addresses the academic and
social needs of refugee and asylee youth through an
afterschool program, summer camp, and student internships. The afterschool
program focuses on academics and supports students with their homework and
school projects. The college readiness summer camp program prepares students
for the college application process and fosters the characteristics necessary
for success in college. This position will be an active part of the IRC’s youth
education team. The hours for this position are typically between 10:00am and
6:00pm; however, the position often requires flexible hours and weekend work to
chaperone field trips.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is a Notre Dame Mission Volunteer (NDMV) AmeriCorps position. AmeriCorps oversight will be conducted through NDMV of Atlanta, and the IRC will serve as a site placement. For more information about NDMV, please visit http://www.ndmva.org.
Candidates will need to complete the AmeriCorps application process through the NDMV site liaison in addition to the IRC’s interview and selection process.
Provide support to the Youth Futures Student Support Specialist in all aspects of program design and implementation, including:
- Planning and preparing for virtual and in-person afterschool program and summer camp activities
- Assisting with program logistics, including facilitating tutoring and supporting volunteer tutors
- Attending programs and helping with activities, including conducting one-on-one check-ins and assisting high school students with homework and college preparation
- Providing general administrative support as needed, such as documentation and file maintenance.
Support Youth Futures Reading Buddies and other initiatives, including:
- Recruiting student participants for different initiatives and facilitating regular meetings.
- Reading Buddies: lead Youth Futures students in discussing potential books and activities, delegating student responsibilities, and debriefing their experiences as Reading Buddies
- Support the Student Support Specialist with home visits for students in the My New
- School Cultural Orientation program at the DeKalb International Student Center and school enrollment.
- Research community resources to support youth academic, vocational, and social needs