Human Rights Specialist
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society to advance gender equality through the implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. The work of UN Women Ukraine is guided by the following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of the women, peace and security agenda; and gender responsive governance. UN Women collaborates closely with the UN Country Team to integrate women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of the UN’s work in Ukraine.
The project “Advancing Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment through Decentralisation Reform of Ukraine” goal is to achieve transformative results for gender equality and women’s empowerment through decentralisation reform in Ukraine. The project will provide policy, technical and capacity-building support to the national mechanism on gender equality and the Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Communal Services of Ukraine, to strengthen the implementation of the national government policy commitments and programs that advance gender equality and women’s empowerment at national, oblast and local levels. The project will support diverse women’s groups and civil society organisations to enhance their equitable participation in decision-making about decentralized governance and service delivery and to demand accountability for gender equality commitments. The project will contribute to development of favourable social norms, attitudes and behaviours to address the root causes of discrimination. The project has a strong focus on human rights and builds on the principles of the UN Human Rights-based Approach.
Reporting to Programme Specialist, P3, the Human Rights Specialist contributes to the effective implementation of project by providing substantive inputs related to human rights to project design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes from human rights-based approach perspective by monitoring results achieved during implementation of the UN Country Strategy and ensuring appropriate application of the human rights-based approach and provides advice on enhancements if necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the project team, programme and operations teams, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Impact of results:
The key results of this post directly impact on the ability of UN Women to effectively promote the human rights by applying the human rights- based approach through the implementation of the UN Women programme portfolio in the country. This impact should lead to enhancing the visibility and image of UN Women as an effective leader on gender equality and women’s human rights and empowerment in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Programme Development and Management
- Technical support in integration of human rights strategies into programming
- Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management?
1. Programme Development and Management
- Ensure substantive contribution to the analysis and research of the human rights situation, as well as the analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country from a human rights perspective and prepare substantive inputs to the UN Women country office programme planning;
- Provide substantive input on human rights to new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepare briefs and inputs for policy dialogue and technical assistance coordination on human rights;
- Design and formulate the programme initiatives translating UN Women’s mandate, policies, tools and strategies into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches;
- Analyze quality of programme/projects design from human rights perspectives incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems;
- Expedite and coordinate programmes/projects implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs related to human rights;
- Participate in and contribute to the work of the UN Ukraine Human Rights Working group; contribute to coordination of the UN Women human rights activities with the other UN Agencies;
- Supervise, coordinate and monitor field level human rights-related activities of portfolio. Coordinate the project component on integrating women’s human rights to decentralization reform and regional development, prepare terms of refereneces for international and national consultants and implementing partners, organize the project events, review the reports and provide quality assurance.
2.Technical support in integration of human rights strategies into programming:
- Provide leadership and support the project and the country office team to integrate human rights and rights-based approach principles into ongoing and envisaged projects in Ukraine;
- Provide advice and guidance for the implementation of the Country Strategy by strengthening the human rights-based approach in programming and implementation;
- Ensure, advice and guide integration of gender and human rights perspectives and attention to specific inclusion issues within all assigned activities;
- Support the translation of UN Women interventions on relevant root causes of compound discrimination into longer-term programming to protect development gains;
- Analyse degree of implementation by Ukraine of recommendations made by UN treaty bodies, Special Procedures and the Universal Periodic Review (UPR). Conduct substantive research and analysis of human rights issues/events and assess their impact on the human rights situation, provide recommendation to the management related to its mandate implementation;
- Collect and analyse human rights monitoring data and indicators, including gender-specific data and indicators at the national and sub-national/oblast level;
- Facilitate organization of the project events, studies and the other activities by providing leadership and substantive guidance on human rights, prevention and elimination of a compound discrimination;
- Write and/or provide expert input into a variety of reports, communications, briefings, statements, etc. Prepare analytical reports/overviews on human rights
3. Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Manage the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks on human rights;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners. Coordinate partnership with and capacity development of women’s human rights organizations at the national, regional and local levels;
- Ensure awareness about current and emerging human rights trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and share with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies;
- Contribute to the articles and social media materials on the project activities as well as the thematic materials about human rights;
- Proactively contribute to human rights knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organize capacity building of staff and partners on human rights-based approach and human rights strategies;
- Develop knowledge products on human rights, gender equality, women’s and minority rights, inter- sectional discrimination in Ukraine.
- Facilitate formulation of lessons learned and their application.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS OF THE WORK ASSIGNMENT:
- Full and appropriate implementation of project activities in Ukraine;
- Results, experiences and lessons learned during implementation of the project are shared with the project management;
- Programme initiatives are designed and formulated for translating UN Women’s priorities into local
- Reporting and quality monitoring activities completed.
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS:
- Timely and quality inputs to programme’s annual work plan, project monitoring framework, reports;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results
- Adherence to UN Women standards, procedures and rules
- Number of progress, annual and thematic reports contributed to
- Timely organization of events/meetings
- Number of knowledge products developed
- Partnership is established with regional and local authorities and key stakeholders
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Human Rights based Approach and Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s human rights;
- Ability to lead implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes;
- Ability to develop strategies, plans, methodologies and tools for effective implementation of the human rights- based approach;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
- Demonstrated strong coordination, facilitation and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
The UN Women Ukraine is committed to workforce diversity. Women and men with disabilities, other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, IDPs, refugees legally entitled to work in Ukraine, are particularly encouraged to apply.
UN Women Personal History Form (P11) must be completed and attached as part of the online application - https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-p11-personal-history-form.doc?la=en&vs=558