Local Consultant- Environmental expert for RS and FBiH – 2 positions
home based with travel within bih
NOTE: Signed Offeror’s Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and availability - https://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/docs/Operations/Jobs/Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx - Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability.docx - to be sent to e-mail email@example.com with Subject: Job ID 99606.
Climate change is today one of the biggest ecological and socio-economic challenges in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Climate change, and the increased frequency and intensity of extreme climate events, represent significant challenges to the environment and to sustainable development in the country. The increasing variability of weather conditions has been recorded year-round, with rapid changes that occur over short periods of time (five to ten days) of extremely cold and hot weather, or from the period of extremely high rainfall in dry periods. Since 2000, the country has faced several significant extreme climate and weather episodes that have caused considerable material and financial losses as well as losses of human lives. The two most significant events have been the 2012 drought the 2014 flood. Bosnia and Herzegovina is currently focused on becoming a sustainable and prosperous country with a green economy by 2025, and its development vision is embodied in its Climate Change Adaptation and Low-Emission Development Strategy (LEDS). The Strategy, which was adopted by the Council of Ministers in cooperation with the entity governments in 2013, outlines actions that support economic growth and the prevention of environmental degradation. The approach outlined in this Strategy encompasses two closely linked components: climate change adaptation and low-emission development.
At the present time, Bosnia and Herzegovina must meet increasing reporting commitments with limited resources. It must move from an ad hoc system of climate change monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) to a continuous system of data collection with an emphasis on collecting high-quality data. At the same time, it must address coordination and data flow issues to become more efficient at reporting and to eliminate duplication and undue burdens on data providers. Moving from often disintegrated, not consistently updated and different methodologies between the two different entities of BiH and among different sectors to an integrated, robust system will require new legislative support for data exchange and an integrated MRV system. The benefits, however, will be substantial: the country will gain information that it needs to pursue its political goals of green economic development and EU accession, and it will be able to speak with one voice on climate change as a party to the UNFCCC and other multilateral environmental agreements.
In order to develop a sustainable system for the estimation of greenhouse gas emissions and their elimination in the long-term, it is recommended to harmonize relevant environmental laws in BiH in accordance with general requirements of the Directive (EU) no. 525/2013 on a mechanism for monitoring and reporting GHG emissions in order to stipulate preparation and enforcement of secondary legislation which shall primarily establish mandatory data flow system between competent authorities with clear responsibilities and timing.
The aim of this consultancy is to support MRV plan, development of sustainable system for estimation of GHG emissions and their reduction in the long-term and Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use (AFOLU) training needs and concepts.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant should work in close consultation with and under the guidance and supervision of the UNDP project manager. Specifically, his\her responsibilities are but not limited to the following:
- Support development of an adaptation MRV plan,
- Identify applicable indicators for prioritization between sectors ,
- Creation of methodology to support development of an adaptation MRV plan ,
- Support development of toolkits and templates for mitigation, adaptation and reporting on support,
- Develop guidelines for QA/QC for the proposed MRV framework,
- Conduct research and contribute to recommendations regarding institutional arrangements and data flow and data gaps in the MRV framework,
- Identify existing data and information, including research from academic and research institutions, and identify high-priority data needs in inventory sectors,
- Support the Project Manager in the identification and development of data collection and analysis norms, and standards for both national and global indicators,
- Provide support to the International MRV Consultant on pilot data collection and analysis as necessary,
- Develop energy, transport, waste, industrial processes, agriculture, forestry and land use training concepts, data collection protocols, training on the software and data sharing process, data analysis and visualization under the system, data protection, and other supporting protocols for key stakeholders.
Deliverables / Outputs
# of Days per Task
Identified applicable indicators for prioritization between sectors
10 August 2021
Methodology presented for adaptation of MRV system; harmonized steps to prevent gaps and loopholes in development of a sustainable system for estimation of GHG emissions and their reduction
20 September 2021
Training needs assessment and training plan; Developed AFOLU training concepts
5 October 2021
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Extensive knowledge of computer applications;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a fairly big team;
- Ability to operate under strict time limits;
Required Skills and Experience
- MSc in Natural Sciences, Environmental Management or other closely related field;
- BSc with additional 3 years of relevant experience in lieu of MSc
- More than 7 years of relevant professional experience in environmental protection and climate change and air protection related issues in Republika Srpska/FBiH,
- Knowledge of regulatory framework, legislation and institutional setting on mitigation, adaptation and reporting on CC ,
- Previous experience in conducting environmental analyses, identifying trends and challenges for sustainable development in BIH,
- Previous experience in conducting analysis of both qualitative and quantitative data; ,
- Previous experience in facilitation of public consultative policy development processes in Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- Understanding of problems faced by national and regional environmental monitoring projects will be considered as an asset,
- Professional experience with at least one national or regional environmental monitoring program will be considered as an asset,
- Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors including government representatives and other stakeholders will be considered as an asset.
- Fluency in both English and local B/H/S languages is a must.
Qualifications as stated in the ToR
max 25 points15 points allocated for BA/BSc degree+ 5 points for MSc/MA+ up to 5 points for PhD
Relevant professional experience
max 70 points
Knowledge of English
max 5 points - will be assessed as:5 points for fluency and the points decrease as per the level mentioned in the CV:good - 4 points;fair/upper intermediate – 3 points;intermediate - 2 points;beginner - 1 point.
The candidate must reach a minimum of 70% threshold to qualify for technical evaluation.
Technical Evaluation Criteria
Rating based on Qualifications
Previous experience in conducting environmental analyses, identifying trends and challenges for sustainable development in BIH; Previous experience in conducting analysis of both qualitative and quantitative data
Professional experience with at least one national or regional environmental monitoring program; Understanding of problems faced by national and regional environmental monitoring projects
The candidate must reach a minimum threshold of 70% on technical evaluation to be taken for final consideration.
Individual will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the candidate whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Interested candidated must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work;
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work;
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.