Senior Director, Legal and Compliance
United States (United States of America)
Senior Director, Legal and Compliance
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Finance - Administration
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org.
CHAI's Global Operations, Finance and HR teams provide operational support to programmatic teams working across the globe. CHAI teams work to improve access to quality health care and focus on several issues and disease areas including, but not limited to HIV, vaccines, malaria, and maternal and newborn health. CHAI has about 1800 staff, including employees, volunteers, and secondees, based in over 40 countries, primarily in Africa, Asia, and the Americas, but also in Europe and Australia.
The Senior Director, Legal & Compliance provides internal legal counsel to CHAI leadership and CHAI. This position will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating the organization’s legal affairs, including leading contract practices and procedures; advice and guide teams in structuring, negotiating, and executing the legal aspects of commercial transactions; advice leadership teams in managing corporate compliance and risk management; addressing employment and immigration law matter intellectual property ownership and licensing, tax compliance, litigation, and the management of international corporate structures. The Senior Director helps ensure that CHAI’s practices and policies meet not only legal and regulatory requirements but also the standards and best practices of an international organization that prides itself on serving its partner governments and populations. CHAI’s must maintain the highest level of professional and ethical standards, supporting CHAI’s mission and acting in compliance with applicable laws and regulations The head of Legal and Compliance will partner with and provide counsel to CHAI’s leadership teams, finance teams, contracts, global operations and Human Resources and country and programmatic teams. The head of legal and compliance will manage outside counsel relationships, and partners with CHAI’s Secretary on governance matters including advising the Board of Directors.
The Senior Director, Legal & Compliance reports to CHAI’s CFO. Domestic and international travel is estimated at 25-30%.
General Legal Advisory
- Provide legal counsel to CHAI’s leadership teams on legal matters related to all aspects of CHAI’s operations.
- Participate and contribute to the overall management of CHAI. The CHAI Senior Leadership Team will expect timely reliable information and insights into major legal issues facing CHAI, as well as the practicality of alternative strategies or decisions.
- Partner with CHAI’s contracts department and its key work in the development and review of the organization’s agreements.
- Oversee protection of CHAI’s intellectual property rights.
- In partnership with CHAI country leadership and operations functions, and CHAI’s external general counsel, select and partner with outside counsel in local jurisdictions.
- In conjunction with local counsel, oversee dispute resolution.
- Develop operational efficiencies in advising on legal and tax ramifications CHAI business.
- Advise Finance and HR teams on organizational tax questions, working with external experts to address key concern areas.
- Provide or arrange legal advice on a broad range of human resources matters for national and international staff, including employment contracts, hiring, separation, benefits, leaves, anti-discrimination, immigration, conflict of interest, and general labor and employment regulations.
- Support program teams’ proposal and grant writing efforts to ensure grant development meets organizational best practices, quality standards and compliance.
Corporate Structure and Governance
- Advise CHAI leadership in the set up and structure of in-country presence in CHAI’s program and non-program countries.
- Provide continued guidance and compliance support to CHAI’s country leadership and global operations teams in the ongoing maintenance of CHAI’s entity structures.
- Provide support to CHAI’s Board of Directors and Secretary
Risk Management and Compliance
- In partnership with CHAI’s leadership teams, review, prioritize, advice and provide guidance on risk management and compliance projects and strategies.
- Advise on organization’s insurance coverages and program, addressing corporate and local needs and maintaining relationships with insurance providers.
- Support the development and management of risk mitigation plans
- Be part of the Enterprise Risk Management committee and actively supporting the team
- Serve as counsel to CHAI’s Safeguarding Committee, which manages complaint-handling and investigations for allegations of misconduct.
- Support and promote CHAI Values including CHAI’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Policies and Communication
- Partner with senior leadership and communications teams on key messaging and communications with donors, external stakeholders, and government partners, as needed.
- Under the direction of CHAI leadership, support compliance training initiatives.
and promote employee adherence to CHAI’s business ethics and values.
- In partnership with relevant business owners, support and review the drafting and implementation of organizational policies and procedures in finance, HR, global operations, communications, development, and information technology.
- Law degree and 10 years’ experience as a Legal and Compliance head or in a senior legal position, with a preference in global health or global development organizations or comparable private law firm experience. Active law license in the United States.
- Willingness to relocate to Boston.
- Experience in international markets, negotiating complex agreements.
- Preferred experience with international corporate and/or employment legal matters, especially in low- and middle-income countries.
- Strong cultural sensitivity and experience in a global, geographically dispersed organization.
- Thought leader willing to work with all levels of CHAI organization with strong history advising organizational leadership.
- Highly solutions oriented with an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, assessing risk, addressing crises, providing comprehensive and sensitive legal advice.
- Demonstrated experience in proactively identifying potential problems and devising creative solutions.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity with strong respect for CHAI staff, partners, stakeholders.
- Willingness to understand, communicate and integrate divergent views into work product.
- Experience with ethics, compliance, and corporate transactions in diverse geopolitical context.
- Strong knowledge of international nonprofit governance required.
- Strong knowledge of US tax exempt organization law.
- Experience with US and other Government contracting is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience working in a collaborative, complex team environment, managing and mentoring staff.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
- Passionate about CHAI values.