Business Support Assistant (Travel and Protocal) Re-advertised SC4
NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Business Support Assistant (Travel/Protocal) SC4 to be based in Kampala. The selected candidates will be employed on Service Contract.
WFP’s Administration unit encompasses many technical and complex areas which require certain technical skills and capabilities that provide a great learning platform. The unit is designed and has the potential internal abilities which include: the ability to be proactive, handle stressful situations, manage last minute request and how to provide critical support to meet the organisation’s goal of zero hunger.
The role of Business Support Assistant (Travel & Protocal) SC4 is based in Kampala, reporting to the Administrative Officer (Travel & Protocol).
Under the direct supervision of the Administration/Travel/Protocol Officer, the Business Support Assistant will provide support functions in various Administrative services, most importantly Travel and Protocol. All tasks will be performed in accordance with WFP procedures, rules and regulations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Facilitate the compliance of the services provided (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assets and travel management, etc) with the corporate Administration policy and guidance.
- Check the provision of a range of services, in coordination with facilities, fleet management, travel, protocol etc while maintaining information, to contribute to the provision of a safe and comfortable working environment.
- Liaise with the relevant authorities to process and renew visas, identity cards, resident permits among others for WFP international staff and their dependents.
- Maintain an updated spreadsheet of visa expiry dates on the shared drive.
- Promptly process transfer of ownership, motor vehicle registration and deregistration documents through Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Uganda Revenue Authority.
- Process travel authorization and creation of Trip Documents (TAs) in SAP travel module to align with corporate travel guidelines and SOPs. Facilitation of travel by road/air in coordination with the fleet manager and travel agent.
- Periodically close travel open items in WINGS.
- Liaise with travel agents to make flight reservations and bookings for staff members travelling in and out of the Country, on the most direct and least costly flights.
- Verify invoices for payment from travel agents against actual services rendered and ensure timely payment.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES 2/2
10. Facilitate customs clearance of imports, exports through processing of tax exemption through relevant ministries, embassies and government departments.
11. Collate and process information including dissemination to support the production of standard documents and regular reporting on Travel and Protocol, to enable decision making and the effective management of resources.
12. Manage and maintain paper and electronic records with the area of responsibility in accordance with established procedures, to ensure swift and easy access as required.
13. Undertake research and perform basic analyses of data, communicate to internal and external stakeholders including HQ to contribute to the provision of accurate information and effective management of resources on travel management.
14. Be a first point of contact on travel and protocol for internal queries, to facilitate the provision of efficient and effective resolution of daily issues.
15. Initiative, judgement, courtesy, tact and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
16. Any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Diploma in Business Administration,or a related academic field.
Experience: At least three (3) years of work experience in travel and protocal
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
- Hands on experience on ERP/SAP platform for travel management
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Thursday 17th June 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.