ICT Senior Assistant
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
UNOPS has signed an agreement with UNGSC and the Digital Solutions Support Unit has the scope to provide Information Technology Desktop support to the United Nations ICT Facility (UNICTF) Valencia and UNGSC in Brindisi, within the UNGSC through a high level specialised, professional and operational workforce.
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) is responsible for the delivery and maintenance of the Field Technology Sections’ (FTS) infrastructure, systems and software applications in support of the operational requirements of Peacekeeping Missions, Special Political Missions, as well as Department of Peace Operations (DPO) and DOS at Headquarters.
The Office of Information and Communication Technology (OICT) is continuing to install, test and manage the complex array of ICT infrastructure systems required in Valencia and Brindisi. The Office is focused on implementing ICT architecture and standard-setting efforts; the planning and execution of major infrastructure improvements for the field; the development and implementation of, and support for, Organization-wide and major shared applications; integrated IT project management support activities; the coordination of disaster recovery and business continuity planning for the field; the planning of ICT investments in line with strategy and priorities; and, the operational oversight of ICT related functions at the United Nations Global Service Center (UNGSC), technical architectural design and infrastructure improvements.
The ICT Senior Assistant will carry out his/her tasks within the United Nations Global Service Center (UNGSC) Office in Brindisi, Italy and will report to the Supervisor of the Digital Solutions Support Unit (DSSU) and to UNOPS Senior Programme Manager.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of the Supervisor of Digital solutions Support Unit, the ICT Senior Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions:
1.Desktop Administration and Configuration
2.Server Operations and Administration:
3.Service Installation and Support:
4.Procurement and Logistics
Impact of Results
The result of work of the ICT Senior Assistant is to ensure effective information technology support to IT staff and users in installation, operation, maintenance, and service delivery of hardware and software at UNHQ as well as Offices Away from Headquarters (OAHs), Peacekeeping Missions, and Permanent Missions.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- University Degree (Bachelor's or Master's) preferably in Information technology may substitute for some of the required number of years of experience.
- Windows Server administration (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) is required.
- ITIL Foundation V3 certification is required.
- Leadership training is desirable.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in information technology or related area is required.
- Experience in VM Ware support and VDI environment is highly desirable.
- Experience in information systems analysis and programming (such as scripting), systems administration and maintenance, IP Telephony is desirable.
- Experience in UNIFLOW Security Printing System is valuable.
- Fluency in English (write, read, speak) is a required.
- Knowledge of a second UN language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : Fixed Term
- Contract level : G5
- Contract duration : One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.Background Information – Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.