Human Resources and Procurement Associate
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
*Note: This position is part of the Change Management process for OHCHR Cambodia and is only open to internal affected staff members.
Under the overall guidance of the Representative and the direct supervision of the Administrative and Programme Support Officer of the Administrative and Programme Support Unit, the Human Resource and Procurement Associate ensures effective delivery of the Office programme by providing human resource (HR), procurement and administrative support.
The Human Resource and Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the Administrative and Programme Support team, Programme teams, relevant counterparts in OHCHR HQ as well as local UN service-providing agency to ensure proper flows of processes and compliant with applicable rules and regulations, to resolve HR and procurement-related issues, and to ultimately support the smooth operations of the country office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Administration and implementation of HR, procurement and other;administrative strategies
- Provision of human resource service;
- Coordination/organization of procurement processes;
- Provision of other administrative support.
1. Ensures effective administration and implementation of human resource and administrative strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR and procurement activities with UN rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of effective internal controls;
- HR and procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in consultation with the direct supervisor and management;
- Proper documentation of business processes of responsible areas and provision of information when audited;
- Provision of relevant input to the preparation of the Unit work plan;
- Contribute to provision of training provided by the Unit to other Units of the office;
- Participation in UN-wide Procurement and Administration taskforce to implement joint activities.
2. Ensures effective provision of Human Resource Service coordination, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of recruitment processes including providing information on requirements in developing job description, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, facilitating assessment process, reference checking, submission to relevant officials and review board for selection clearance approval and documenting the whole process;
- Coordination with UN service provider to obtain complete documents for creating staff profile filings and updating them;
- Provision of logistics support to newly recruited staff (and dependents where appropriate) and other personnel to travel to and settle in Cambodia;
- Timely processing to request staff/personnel contract extension as appropriate, within-grade step increment, dependent allowance extension, and other entitlements as due and appropriate;
- Maintaining different staff (and dependents) lists including for UNDSS and the host government and updating them regularly;
- Leave monitoring and reporting for national staff;
- Acting as focal person for data collection for difference HR-related surveys;
- Provision of information to the management and staff on available strategies, rules and regulations.
3. Ensures efficient coordination/organization of procurement processes, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plan by compiling the plans from all Units and updating it as needed;
- Organization of low-value procurement processes starting from preparation and conduct of RFQs, receipt and evaluation of quotations, and negotiation of certain conditions and price where appropriate, in full compliance with UN rules and regulations;
- Creating purchase orders (POs) in the UN centralized system, administering the agreed POs to ensure the proper delivery of goods/services, and requesting payments for suppliers;
- Coordination with UN service provider to have high-value procurement (and certain cases of low-value procurement) processes done by submitting completed required information/ documents; coordination to ensure the proper administering of contracts and requesting of payments for suppliers;
- Maintaining the list of suppliers/service providers including those that perform well as well as new potential ones, and register potential ones in the UN centralized system.
4. Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assisting in ensuring the proper functioning and compliance of office premises including building and facilities maintenance, insurance coverage, signing, lighting etc.;
- Coordinating with UN service provider in organizing occasional shipment and custom clearance;
- Coordinating with UN service provider and relevant government ministries in terms of official registration and compliant with the country requirements of office and international staff’s vehicles, new visas and renewal of diplomatic cards for staff/personnel (and dependents where appropriate), etc.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Unit including improved business results and effective support services of the Unit as well as the programme delivery of the Cambodia office as a whole.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of HR and procurement related matters;
- Ability to interpret policies, to apply relevant/applicable rules and regulations;
- Ability to undertake research, gather information from standard sources, organize information, and interpret them for relevant input to develop the Unit’s strategies, internal guidance, and actions as relevant;
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given;
- Shows persistence when facing with difficult problems or challenges and remain calm in stressful situations;
- Responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to other, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately
- Ask question to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills in English and Khmer, including ability to draft /edit briefing notes, reports and other communications on a range of topics
- Ability to make presentations to both internal and external audiences
- Applies technology to appropriate tasks
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may entirely reflect own position
- Share credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Seeks to understand the purposes of each task and determine the direction to take with other team members
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. Specialized certification or University Degree in Business Administration or related area is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible HR, procurement and/or administrative experience is required;
- Experience working with an international organization is an asset;
- Experience in using a web-based management system is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Respect of confidentiality, discretion and integrity;
- Readiness to undertake travel on official mission.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Khmer.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.