Research and Statistical Assistant
Parent Sector : UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)
Duty Station: Canada
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-June-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
In order to be eligible for this contract, applicant must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or hold a valid Canadian work permit.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) in collaboration with the UNESCO Natural Sciences Sector is establishing a global baseline dataset on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education as well as on STEM education governance, policies and strategies. The overall objective of the project is to collect information and data that will help inform UNESCO’s strategic planning, decision making and targeted interventions for strengthening STEM education globally. The project comprises two stages as follows: Conduct/Production of situational analysis reports of STEM education in various regions; and production of a baseline data set on STEM education and country baseline profile reports.TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UIS, the guidance of the Head of Section, Science, Culture and Communication Statistics (SCCI), and the direct supervision of the Associate Programme Specialist in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Statistics, the incumbent shall provide technical, procedural and operational support for the implementation of the UIS/UNESCO Project on establishing a set of baseline data on STEM education as well as obtaining information to better understand the STEM education governance, policies and strategies globally. Within this context, more particularly, the incumbent will:
• Support the production of a STEM education baseline database by;
o Assisting with the collection, processing and verification of data obtained from countries. This would include administrating the data collection, processing and verifying data and following up with country respondents, as necessary.
o Support the collection, processing and verification of data from secondary sources (such as international databases).
o Establishing an Excel based database for data and indicators.
o Prepare data tables, charts and graphics, as necessary.
• Assist with the preparation of reports.
• Perform additional activities that may be required to ensure success of the project.
• Completion of post-secondary (Cegep or equivalent), technical or vocational education, preferably including courses on statistical methods or data processing. Additional training in economics and/or statistics would be an asset.
• Minimum eight (8) years of relevant full-time experience in the collection, verification, processing or analysis of statistical data.
Skills and competencies
• An aptitude for numbers and the ability to present statistics in tabular and graphic forms are required.
• Ability to manage and analyse large data sets using advanced functions of MS Excel or with a statistical package.
• Proficiency in MS Word/Outlook. Advanced skills in MS Excel including the creation, use of macros and graphics tools is considered as assets.
• Knowledge of specialized statistical software packages would be an asset.
• Good organizational skills. Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with good teamwork spirit in a multicultural environment.
• Excellent knowledge of English is required.
- A bachelor or equivalent degree in statistics/economics or another area with a strong quantitative component would be an asset.
- Experience within a Governmental organization or in an international environment in economic/social science research.
- Knowledge of education or science statistics.
Skills and competencies
- Advanced skills in MS Excel including the creation, use of macros and graphics tool.
- Knowledge of specialized statistical software packages.
- A good knowledge of French is highly desirable.
UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Canadian Dollar).
Salary: CAD 3,542.00/month net of taxes
Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 5% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
Only candidates who are entitled to work in Canada ( Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or hold a work permit) are eligible to post to this vacancy.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.