Business Development Specialist II, Mali
Bamako (Mali) | Mali
Job Title: Business Development Specialist II, Mali
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Job Location: Bamako, Mali
Reports To: Country Representative, Mali
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS’s mission is to save lives and alleviate suffering, accelerate the end of poverty, hunger, and preventable disease, and cultivate just and peaceful societies, always placing the dignity of the human person at the center. Among CRS’s key aspirations in its Vision 2030 is strengthening local leadership and empowering local communities and the institutions that support their development to be effective and impactful leaders.
CRS has been supporting program activities in Mali since 1999. Currently, CRS Mali has approximately 100 national staff and eight international staff , with an annual budget over $15 million and these figures are likely to go up considerably over the next three years as CRS Mali prepares to be the next PR of the Mali Global Fund Malaria grant starting January 2022. CRS Mali is active all over the country implementing projects in Education, Health, Agriculture and Livelihoods, migration, social cohesion, and emergency response. CRS Mali’s donor portfolio is diverse with funds from USAID (through prime Devworks), Global Affairs Canada (through Alinea International), Global Fund, European Union Trust Fund, Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs, UNITAID, KOICA, amongst others and includes both humanitarian and development projects. CRS Mali has a coordination office in Bamako and sub offices in Sevare, Gao, and Tombouctou. CRS Mali also has a strong and constructive partnership with a wide variety of local and national actors, both governmental and nongovernmental.
CRS is therefore looking to continue and intensify its co mmitment to local leadership and accelerating this transition in Mali. CRS Business Development staff have and will continue to play a key role in this transition, supporting new partnership models under business development opportunities, and providing direct support to local organizations in the identification and pursuit of funds (that may not result in direct revenue for CRS). CRS’s vision is to support the local Caritas and other local implementing organizations to pursue funding opportunities and to receive and then manage those donor resources directly.
As Business Development Specialist (BDS) II you will lead the production of high-quality applications for funding in support of CRS' engagement with institutional donors and initiatives in international development to serve the poor and vulnerable in line with the Mali CP and BD strategies. You will also work closely with CRS staff working on local leadership, including the Partner ship and Capacity Strengthening lead and the CR to support local Caritas and other local implementing organizations to identify and pursue funding opportunities based on their organization’s priorities, and strengthen capacity partners in resource mobilization. Your knowledge and skills will allow you to provide specialized assistance in all dimensions of the BD cycle to cross-disciplines and cross-functional teams.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Business Development – CRS (40% LOE)
- Oversee CRS Mali’s new and continuing business agenda including developing resource mobilization strategies for new sectors and/or donors, as well as leading the country program's opportunity pipeline tracking and analysis, including portfolio trends, proposal submissions and performance, and growth projections.
- Provide BD expertise in positioning, capture planning and proposal preparation for opportunities identified as strategic, with institutional as well as non-traditional donors (government and inter-governmental award issuing organizations, as well as foundations, corporations, and other awarding non-governmental organizations
- Serve as proposal coordinator or other lead role in proposal team and participate in bid analysis and proposal review panels. Serve as a lead or support writer on proposals, as needed, contributing both technical and non-technical content and integrating inputs from staff and partners into a responsive, coherent proposal with a compelling vision and clear win themes
- Lead and support proposal budget processes working with technical staff, management and partner staff to integrate inputs into a responsive, cost competitive proposal budget.
- Support and guide identification of partners and negotiation of CRS’ role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency’s partnership principles and strategic directions. Research, track and analyze new opportunities and CRS' competitive position within the marketplace.
- Support senior management to cultivate and strengthen institutional relationships with institutional donors, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Work with relevant staff to leverage CRS' programmatic and operational results for enhanced visibility, positioning, and direct fundraising purposes, including maintaining data on past performance and agency capacity, publications and dissemination, and donor visits.
Business Development Support for Local Partners (30% LOE)
- The BDS would be expected to focus on new partnerships and partnership models in Mali under new opportunities and would directly support key partners in the identification of opportunities based on partner strategies and resource mobilization priorities.
- The BDS would identify, review, and flag new opportunities in collaboration with local partners so as to support them with positioning, capture planning and proposal preparation as desired.
- Train and mentor staff and partners, as needed, to improve their skills in proposal development, representation to donor and partner organizations, intelligence-gathering, and marketing within the country program or portfolio.
- Work closely with the PCS Focal point within Mali CP to identify and fill key BD related needs amongst local partners.
Strategic Communication (30% LOE)
- Supervise the Communications Officer to identify and fulfill communication needs of the CP
- Ensure that CRS has all key communication and marketing material ready in time for CRS to begin prepositioning and capture planning for next round of rebids.
- Work with the Marcomms team at HQ and region to ensure all external facing material adheres to the new brand book.
Required Languages – Fluent English and French
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 20%.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Communications Officer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.