Emergency Officer (Female only)
WHO ARE WE?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Emergency Officer is part of the Emergency Field Team and he/she is responsible for implementing DRC Afghanistan’s emergency project activities in the field. A key member of the team, Emergency Officer participates in emergency assessments, with strong familiarity with emergency assessment methodologies including household survey enumeration; practices strong communication with communities to disseminate information about DRC’s emergency assessments and responses and obtain relevant information, including feedback; and implements safe and organized emergency distributions in accordance with DRC SOPs. Based in Kabul, the Emergency Officer will work in different field locations, including remote and hard-to-reach locations. The Emergency Officer must be able to perform to a high standard in challenging and insecure conditions, with the support of DRC management, safety, and access teams, and within DRC’s acceptable risk thresholds. The Emergency Officer works under the supervision of the Emergency Team Leader and will directly report to the Emergency Team Leader. This position is open to men and women; if a woman candidate is selected she will also speak privately and confidentially with women heads of households and other women and girls with whom DRC works with in the context of emergency assessments and responses, in a culturally appropriate and sensitive manner, and assists women and girls to participate in the distribution process, for example bringing them to the front of the line.
- Coordinating, leading and conducting rapid needs assessments in the field using HEAT tools
- Data collection and consultation privately and confidentially with women heads of households and other women and girls with whom DRC works with in the context of emergency assessments and responses, in a culturally appropriate and sensitive manner
- Assist women and girls to participate in the distribution process, for example bringing them to the front of the line
- Mapping of protection services actors in his/her area
- Establish good contact and linkages with other humanitarian actors in the field
- Beneficiary selection processes
- Coordinating, conducting emergency field distributions (Cash and NFIs)
- Planning and implementation of activities
- conducting Rapid Market assessments
- Data collection, both through paper based and digital forms
- Conducting Post Distribution Monitoring if required line close coordination with M&E Officer.
- Produce basic reports on needs assessments and proposed responses
- Travel within and out the region to support the emergency Field all over the Country
- When requested, join a DRC flying team and be ready to be re-allocated for short period and with short notice, outside the normal area of operation (within the country).
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 2 years’ experience within humanitarian work, prior experience, IDP or natual disasters resonses is desirable
- At least 1 years experience in engagement with community
- High Scool Graduate (essintial)
- Bachelor on social sciences or related fields (Desidred)
- Excellent spoken and written Dari and Pashto
- Good command of English (especially written)
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with DRC salary scale
Interested? Then apply for this position, all applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 17 June-2021.