Duties and Responsibilities
- Advice the UNDP country office management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation around the UNDP strategic plan.
- Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the Global Goals (SDG), the National Development Plan and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies.
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate, when directed by the Resident Representative.
- Contribute to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
- Advise UNDP country office management with preparation and implementation of country programmes and strategies, including the development of country programme document and related analysis;
- Support UNDP country office teams to develop and manage relevant thematic portfolios, such as activities to support inclusive growth and progress towards the SDGs;
- Support UNDP country office efforts to conceptualize and implement the Development Finance Assessment (DFA) and accompanying process and use existing financial resources more effectively and efficiently to achieve the SDGs;
- Provide analysis and research in priority thematic areas at the country level, including publication of policy briefs or other analytical outputs supporting the Programme teams;
- Support the preparation of policy briefs, background notes, speeches, talking points, presentation materials, etc. on critical development issues within the SDG framework for senior management at the country level;
- Lead the Human Development Report (HDR) related research and activities and ensure that it provides added value in terms of development economic analysis, updated data and information for policy formulation;
- Compile and analyze statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities;
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the network of acceleration labs;
- Support the design of large-scale development solutions to help address complex development challenges;
- Lead the expansion of country office service offers on financing for development, including innovative financing models and country specific/sector specific studies.
- Advise and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector;
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels;
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks, including to help strengthen national and local level data collection and statistical capacity;
- Support to leverage UNDP’s regional and global programmes, to provide holistic and effective support to the country;
- Leverage support and expertise from the UNDP’s global/regional Economist networks to assist in strengthening UNDP’s support on economic analysis and policy development to Government and the UN Country Team.
- Contribute, in close collaboration with senior management, to the development and/or strengthening of partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, bilateral development agencies, private sector entities, and civil society;
- When delegated, represent UNDP country office in relevant forums, conferences or workshops, including to present research or programmatic results;
- Assist the Resident Representative in resource mobilization and future growth strategies and contribute to the design of large-scale programme and development solutions;
- Contribute to national, regional, and global knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Participate actively in the UNDP Asia-Pacific regional network of economists, through attending regional meetings (in-person and/or virtual), sharing relevant experiences, and conducting peer reviews;
- Collaborate and contribute to regional publications, practice notes, and Regional Human Development Reports;
- Substantively contribute as possible to UNDP regional knowledge products and development of programming offers in regional priority areas (e.g., inequality, future of work, innovative financing);
- Enhance UNDP’s understanding and design of new approaches to sustainable development across the region by acting as a regional thematic lead where possible.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) or bachelor’s degree in Economics or related fields is required.
- Ph.D. in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience (with Master’s degree) at the national or international level in relevant areas of economic research and policy and implementation support or 7 years of experience with relevant Bachelor’s Degree.
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis;
- Proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience;
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers is desirable;
- Experience of strategic visioning with strong technical and highly developed analytical capabilities is desirable;
- Knowledge of the SDGs and their application at the national level, politically astute with demonstrated experience in stakeholder analysis and engagement;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data is desirable.
- Good written and spoken English and Farsi;
- Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.