UN Women: Administrative Assistant
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action globally. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Progress of North Macedonia in recent years respecting and promoting Gender Equality is highlighted in a series of international commitments and in national legal and policy frameworks. The main achievements in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment reside in the Country’s institutional capacity development for the work on gender equality. Indeed, the legal provisions guaranteeing women’s rights and gender equality are largely in place – the Law of Equal Opportunities of Women and Men, the National Action Plan for Gender Equality, the Election Law amendment instituting quotas, the Action Plan for the implementation of UNSCR 1325 (2020-2025), and the ratification of the Istanbul Convention are normative achievements that influence the institutional practice in promoting gender equality in North Macedonia.
However, the Country still copes with deep-rooted, patriarchal stereotypes regarding the role and responsibilities of women and men in the family and in society at large. Women in North Macedonia face a precarious reality – they remain underrepresented in central and local government, have disproportionately limited access to employment, and many are subjected to violence. Gaps in policy development and slow implementation of the adopted legislation constitute important structural obstacles to achieving gender equality. Improvements are needed in both strengthening institutional capacities and enhancing cooperation between the gender mechanisms, the key ministries and civil society organizations in order to increase gender mainstreaming in all aspect of government work - primarily policy development and budgeting - as the means for achieving gender equality.
In line with the European Council’s decision of March 2020 to open accession negotiations with the Country, the Sida-funded “Gender Equality Facility” (GEF) in North Macedonia aims at strengthening the effective implementation of national and international legal frameworks on gender equality and women’s rights, mainstreaming gender equality into EU integration and planning processes for pre-accession assistance, and strengthening institutional mechanisms for gender equality in line with EU standards. Expert support will be provided for the integration of gender perspectives into sector dialogue, policy revisions and ongoing reforms in line with the National Programme for Adoption of the Acquis (NPAA), recovery programmes, including EU-funded IPA programmes and actions, the Government’s Annual Work Programme, and the strategic planning of line Ministries. Thereby, GEF supports institutions to correctly align with the EU Gender Equality acquis. The intervention will also address challenges in implementation of laws and gender equality policies by providing support for enhancing coordination and monitoring of gender equality policies and measures. In the medium to longer-term, and in line with the EU Gender Equality Strategy 2020-2025 and the Principles of the EU Gender Action Plan III (2021-2025), the Project aims to secure implementation/application of gender equality legislation, policies and standards through policy dialogue, technical expertise and guidance, development and sharing of good practice, and strategic partnerships and cooperation.
The main partners of the Project are the Secretariat for European Affairs (SEA, the main project beneficiary), Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA) structures, the Equal Opportunities Department at the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy (MLSP), and National Gender Machinery institutions.
The UN Women Office in North Macedonia is seeking to recruit Administrative Assistant who will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and the daily supervision of the Operations Associate, and overall guidance by the Head of Office.
Administrative Assistant supports the Office Operations by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the programme and projects staff and the Operations Team to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Provide general administrative and logistical support to the Office in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and strategies
- Collect information on shipments, customs clearance arrangements, prepare documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent);
- Arrange travel and hotel reservations, prepare travel authorizations, process requests for visas, identity cards and other documents, collect information for DSA, as required. Draft travel mission plans, security clearance and logistical information;
- Provide administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats. Assist with the collection of offers for selection of venues, services etc., in line with UN Women procurement rules.
- Provide administrative support to property management;
- Maintain filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
2.Programme Implementation. Support the programme team in ensuring smooth implementation of programmatic activities
- Provide support in day-to-day implementation of projects;
- Participate in meetings, training sessions, conferences and public promotion of projects, and draft minutes when required;
- Provide inputs for Terms of Reference for national and international consultants, expert institutions and Civil Society Organizations as per programmes implementation plans;
- Assist panels composed for the recruitment of individuals or evaluations of proposals with communication, preparation of minutes, collection and drafting of relevant contract documentation;
- Participate in external and internal meetings, including staff meetings, and prepare reports/minutes;
3.Provide administrative/procurement support to office and assets management
- Monitor and maintain office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery and keeping a log of distribution, as required.
- Maintain records on assets management and prepare required reports;
- Maintain files and records relevant to office premises and related maintenance of the office premises;
- Provide inputs to the preparation of procurement plans for programmes/projects;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and projects equipment, supplies and services, as necessary;
- Prepare Micro-purchasing evaluation reports, Request for Quotations, Invitations to Bids (ITBs) or Request for Proposals (RFPs) documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation.
4.Provide administrative support to the implementation of Human Resources services
- Assist with recruitment processes including publishing vacancy announcements as per required format, compile matrixes such as longlist/shortlist tables, support with drafting recruitment reports
- Maintain records/ documents/ files, staffing lists and reports, as required;
- Perform the duties of Leave Monitor.
5.Provide administrative support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Facilitate trainings and development of guidelines/workflows for the operations/projects personnel on administration.
6.Perform other administrative tasks as assigned by supervisor
Key Performance Indicators:
- Adherence to UN Women rules and regulations;
- Quality support to conferences and events;
- Quality organization of files and reports;
- Timely support to team.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Good IT and web based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related fields is an asset.
- Min five (5) years (with Secondary education), or, min three (3) years (with Bachelor Degree) of relevant progressively responsible experience in administration, procurement, or logistic support service.
- Experience in support of programmatic work on gender mainstreaming is an asset
- Experience in the advance usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in the use of ATLAS and other web based systems is an asset.
- Experience in working with UN and/or other international organizations is an asset
- Fluency in English and Macedonian is required.
Open to national citizens.
UN Women is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Interested candidates should submit their applications on-line, through the UNDP Web site www.undp.org.mk. The deadline for submission of application is 15 june, 2021. For further requirements, detailed Terms of Reference and a copy of the UN Personal History form (P-11) are available on UNDP Web site www.undp.org.mk . Applications received after the closing deadline will not be considered. No telephone calls please.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.