International Expert on Contract Farming
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
An overall plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for high calibre expert in Contract Farming for exploring, establishing and strengthening the contract farming and other direct marketing mechanism in KSA for target commodities to be located at FAO Technical Cooperation Programme in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Contract Farming Expert reports to the FAO Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Capacity development and knowledge management for enhancing contract farming and other direct marketing mechanism and facilitating smallholder market participation.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Contract Farming expert in coordination with the respective Technical Advisers and National Managers will:
- Undertake comprehensive situation assessment and analysis of contract farming and other direct marketing systems and practices in Saudi Arabia, particularly for specified commodities viz. coffee Arabica, honey, rose, sub-tropical fruits, small-scale fishermen and aquaculture produce, small-scale livestock produce, rain-fed cereals, and its value chain.
- Conduct brief appraisal of the target value chains, with special focus on chain coordination issues
- Identify potential stakeholders and agri-actors (agri-businesses, big farmers, cooperatives and others) and related commodity small scale producers, solicits views, opinions and ideas and consult extensively on contract farming and suggest potential areas for introducing contract farming and required initiatives.
- Review existing marketing system, institutional arrangements, location, linkages of producers to the market, and the contract farming and other direct marketing mechanism in the country, its strengths and weaknesses.
- Provide an account on present contract and/or direct marketing in KSA, highlighting main features of the contracts and the undertakings by both the producer and the partner agri-business firm.
- Review and assess current policies and legal framework, rules and regulations in relation to promotion and implementation of contract farming, and identify gaps and areas for improvement including data, information and procedures for strengthening contract farming.
- Undertake benchmarking of contract farming and direct marketing practices, identify challenges, prescribe the best practices suitable to KSA, and deduce lessons learnt.
- Assess the potential for introducing contract and/or satellite farming as possible option to support small and medium producers of crops, livestock and fisheries sectors, and identify the main characteristics that ensure the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of contract and/or satellite farming systems in KSA.
- Develop strategic framework and plan for development of appropriate contract farming, other direct arrangements and market linkage activities for each of the prescribed commodities, giving consideration to responsible Contract Farming practice principles.
- Study current contractual arrangement and agreements for contract farming, design pilot contract farming models and agreements for target commodities and small producers and prepare an action plan for its promotion and implementation and follow-up and conducting of validation workshop on contract farming models and its implementation.
- Identify main interventions that ensure the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of Contract Farming schemes in KSA and Identify sample contracts from global Contract Farming practice
- Formulate and implement training programme for MoEWA and stakeholders in contract farming and direct marketing arrangements, and develop programme for strengthening capacity of rural institutions for promotion, infrastructure creation and appropriate support services for contract farming and direct marketing implementation.
Prepares national guideline and manual to be used by extension and advisory services for the introduction of contract farming and promotion of the approach in KSA.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in agricultural marketing, agricultural economics, agribusiness management, value chain analysis or related field.
- At least ten years of relevant work experience in technical cooperation programmes in the field of contract farming and agricultural market development.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location and particularly in field positions with ability to provide technical and advisory services.
- Extent and relevance of experience in small scale agri-commodities contract farming, marketing industry and agricultural cooperatives development.
- International work experience in technical cooperation projects including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting.
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
- Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency