National Consultant, Construction Manager, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) Storage Sites
Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
The OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina (the Mission) continues to play a vital role in strengthening the country’s ability to foster a sustainable and stable security environment, to strengthen Bosnia and Herzegovina’s governance, and to encourage its consolidation as a democratic society. The Mission supports political and education reform and works to promote and protect human rights of all citizens of BiH.
As per request of law enforcement agencies (LEAs) in BiH made through the BiH Ministry of Security (MoS), the Mission co-ordinated a needs assessment of 28 LEAs’ small arms and light weapons (SALW) storage sites. Based on the identified needs, and as approved by the BiH SALW Control Co-ordination Board (CCB), ten (10) storage sites (PU Prijedor – RS, PU Banja Luka – RS, PU Zvornik – RS, PU Lukavac – FBiH, PU Doboj – RS, PU Foca – RS, PU Capljina – FBiH, PU Livno – FBiH, PU Bihac – FBiH and PU Zenica – FBiH) have been prioritized to receive support through upgrading of safety and security infrastructure (i.e. 5 in RS and 5 in FBiH, one central depot per administrative unit). Prioritization criteria considered the urgency of conducting upgrades, legal status of each location, as well as political considerations. Envisaged support entails construction, refurbishment, furnishing and IT equipment procurement.
Objective of Assignment:
The Mission is seeking to engage a National Consultant to assist development of the necessary tendering/procurement documentation, provide technical advice in tender evaluations, and monitor and inspect construction works at the sites.
Duration of Assignment:
This is a consultancy assignment with an expected duration of approximately 90 working days.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Through close liaising with the Project Implementation Team (PIT) and LEAs’ supervisors, the successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties:
1. Assisting in the process of developing tendering/procurement documentation (ToR, performance requirements) for contracting project designs and construction services - including equipment and installation of IDS/CCTV;
2. Assisting in evaluation of the received bids and selection of the best offer for construction and IDS/CCTV equipment;
3. Monitoring the selection, purchase and usage of construction materials and IDS/CCTV equipment;
4. Reporting to Project Manager on construction and installation of IDS/CCTV as per project technical project documentation;
5. Managing, monitoring and co-ordinating construction works in their entirety i.e. until handover to beneficiaries;
6. Scheduling deliverables and estimate costs related to construction works and installation of IDS/CCTV;
7. Overseeing all onsite and offsite construction to monitor compliance with building and safety regulations;
8. Performing inspections related to quality construction works required as per the project designs/specifications for all works on and off-site, including installation of IDS/CCTV;
9. Performing inspections for all quality-related procedures and monitoring the activities/works as per approved method statement and inspection test plan;
10. Co-ordinating with the quality control companies’ representative and conducting site inspection and meeting on quality matters;
11. Managing development of and co-ordinating all quality assurance/control documents (i.e. certificates, calibration, test results, inspection requests, non-compliance reports and site instruction/observations, etc.);
12. Co-ordinating with the Project Architects/Constructions Engineer on quality control implementation.
- Progress report, Completed report contains required information on progress of works and any challenges encountered, and also outlines any needed adjustments to initial plans;
- Exception report, Completed report contains needed additional works and any urgent challenges encountered, and also outlines any urgent adjustments to initial plans;
- Final report, Completed report effectively summarizes all conducted activities, in a manner that also provides for effective handover of results.
For more information on the work of the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina, please see: https://www.osce.org/mission-to-bosnia-and-herzegovina.
- First-level university degree in the area of construction/mechanical engineering, with experience in design or managing of CCTV and/or IDS;
- Minimum of eight (8) years of professional experience in design, construction and supervision of construction works related to the security infrastructure and management of IDS/CCTV activities;
- Demonstrated capacity for analysis of recommended engineering processes in relation to safety and security planning;
- Prior experience in application of safety and security standards for infrastructure upgrades at military and/or LEAs would be a distinct advantage;
- Ability to provide high-quality written assessment based on a number of official sources and inputs;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with pronounced report writing ability;
- Punctuality and ability to effectively multi-task and deliver results under tight deadlines;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and in the local languages;
- Computer literate with practical experience in Microsoft packages, online platforms such as Zoom, Google Teams,WebEx, etc.
Remuneration will depend on the selected consultant’s qualifications and experience and be in accordance with OSCE established rates.
This position is open to citizens and permanent residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina only.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/vacancies. Please note that offline applications submitted via email, fax, or mail will not be considered.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.