Green Energy Specialist
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
- UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home country upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
- Included is any official travel expected to be associated with performing the functions
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Technology and Management (ITM) is the organization’s primary provider of ICT systems and Green Energy services to a global network of above 155 Country Offices and UNDP partners worldwide.
The mission of ITM is to develop Smart Facilities which guarantees efficient, innovative and sustainable management of technologies for UN facilities and other partners, in consistency with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Among other technologies, we are committed to offer a framework of best practices, and to deliver resilient, highly available and sustainable green energy solutions and services that enable innovation to flourish throughout the organization. A high degree of integration and inter-operability of different technologies underpins the success of Smart Facilities across the organisation.
Our primary motivations are to accomplish the transition to greener technologies and to increase connectivity in challenging locations, in pursuit of “leaving no one behind”. Increasingly, we are actively participating in Covid-19 Crisis Response, as the pandemic has given impetus to the need for sustainable and reliable energy sources. On a more broader level, we do this to maintain organizational productivity using technology, increase stakeholder satisfaction, enhance value-for-money, and deploy projects that serve as a showcases to influence development at local, country or regional level.
The ITM office in Copenhagen is expanding the team to cover all respective green energy services which include, but not limited to, Vehicle-Grid Integration (GVI), solar PV installation, energy efficiency, training and capacity building, and waste management. The services are aligned with the organization’s Digital transformation agenda and the Smart Facilities initiative.
- On a day-to-day basis, the Green Energy Specialist will be working with and directly reporting to the Green Energy Team Leader.
- The Global ICT Advisor has the overall responsibility.
- Progress reporting will be done in the weekly and monthly team meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Green Energy Specialist is required to play a significant role as guided by the Global ICT Specialist and Team lead in achieving the following tasks:
- Energy Assessment & Training: the Green Energy Specialist will lead energy assessment in assigned locations with potential for installation of solar PV systems. The bulk of the exercise will be conducted remotely in liaison with an assigned focal point on site. The exercise includes analysis of data collected through Internet of Things (IoT) sensors deployed in Country Offices and information collected through an online App. Linked to energy assessment, the Green Energy Specialist will conduct training and capacity building in cases of on-the-ground missions;
- Solar PV Implementation: Provide technical expertise and project management on solar PV to premises undergoing installations, as part of quality assurance measures for resilient installations. This includes review of proposed technical designs, keeping track of implementation status of each assigned project, and coordinating activities of all stakeholders in assigned projects;
- Operations & Maintenance: regular monitoring of operational installations and attending to problems as may be reported by focal points or as may be detected from live monitoring of the systems. As part of bi-annual reporting, the Green Energy Specialist is expected to provide analysis of the system and propose improvements for system optimization;
- Promoting Adoption of Green Energy: taking the initiative and being proactive in identifying opportunities for implementation of green energy solutions and services in Country Offices. This includes taking advantage of opportunities to make presentations or conduct webinars for different audiances that may benefit from ITM green energy services, creating business cases for presentation to management of potential project sites;
- Energy Efficiency: playing a lead role in creating business cases for energy efficiency measures in assigned offices, including providing technical expertise in implementation of the identified measures. The Green Energy Specialist will also play an active role in refining processes and procedures for effective support to Country Offices, in line with ISO9001 Quality Management System;
- eMobility: spearhead adoption of eMobility across Country Offices and provide technical support in acquisition, installation, and operation of electric vehicle chargers, particularly grid-integrated chargers;
- Documentation and ISO 9001 Compliance: documentation related to green energy services, including, but not limited to, procedures, system documentation, technical guides, conformity and corrective reports, and compilation of user feedback. Monitor and ensure compliance of procedures and processes with corporate standards and ISO 9001:2015.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
A Masters Degree in Green Energy Engineering, renewable energy, electrical engineering or related field with minimum 5 years of experience, or Bachelors Degree in Green Energy Engineering, renewable energy, electrical engineering or related field with minimum 7 years of experience
Min. years of relevant Work experience
Required skills and competencies
Desired additional skills and competencies
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Any related industrial certification will be an added advantage