Expert for Development of the Chapter on Technological and Capacity Building Needs within Third Biennial Update Report (TBUR)
home-based and podgorica
UNDP Montenegro, together with Ministry of Ecology, Spatial Planning and Urbanism, is working jointly on preparation of the Montenegro’s Third Biennial Update Report.
Main goal of the project is to assist the country in mainstreaming and integrating climate change considerations into national and sectorial development policies by giving continuity to the institutional and technical capacity strengthening process, partly initiated and sustained by the National Communications.The immediate objective of the project is to assist the country in the preparation and submission of its Third Biennial Update Report to the Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC for the fulfillment of its obligations to the Convention under Dec. 1/CP. 16 par. 60 and Dec 2/CP. 17 par. 41 and it’s Annex III.Thus, the project aims to enhance the capacity and efficiency of preparation of national communication and biennial update report in a continuous manner. The capacity building activities in Montenegro have yet to expand to reach government ministries/agencies to participate in the preparation process and enable them to prepare the documents on a more regular basis.
The project is structured as a set of outputs and activities organized in four (4) components:
1. National circumstances, institutional arrangements, financial, technical and capacity constraints, gaps and needs1.1 Information on national circumstances and institutional arrangements relevant to the preparation of the Third Biennial Update Report (TBUR) revised and updated, level of support received to enable the preparation of the TBUR described;1.2 The technology, financial and capacity needs for mitigation updated and recommendations with government priorities updated;
2. National GHG Inventory2.1 GHG inventory updated up to 2019 year and improvement of GHG inventory system
3. Mitigation actions and domestic MRV system3.1 Assessment of sectors and interventions contributing to GHG emission reduction at the national level conducted;3.2 The process of establishment of domestic Measurement, Reporting and Verification system supported;
4. Production of the TBUR report, monitoring and evaluation4.1 Compilation, editing, translation and publication of the TBUR, including Executive Summary4.2 Monitoring and evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the assignment
The objective of the assignment is to develop Chapter of TBUR on technology, financial and capacity building needs and gaps for implementation of mitigation action.
The technology needs, constraints, and gaps are largely influenced by general capacity needs, constraints and gaps in the energy and environmental sectors. The report/chapter to be prepared within the TBUR shall build upon the results and recommendation within the previous NC/BURs. A financial and capacity needs assessment for implementation of mitigation actions should include both national and local level.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, and in close cooperation with the Department for Climate Change within the Ministry of Ecology, Spatial Planning and Urbanism, and expert will undertake the following specific tasks:
- Familiarize with the results and recommendations of latest NCs/BURs and NDC.
- Provide information on financial, technical and capacity building needs and constrains associated with the fulfilment of the national obligations under UNFCCC updated.
- Provide information on financial resources, technology transfer and technical assistance received from the GEF, Annex I Parties and other developed country Parties, the GCF and multilateral institutions for GHG mitigation activities.
- Assess progress on actions expected or implemented to address the restrictions, gaps and needs identified for the fulfilment of the national obligations under UNFCCC on the basis of the previous NCs.
- Provide information on needs, gaps and priorities for education, training and public awareness identified and programmes prepared.
- Financial constraints, technical needs and capacity building requirements to address mitigation issues identified;
- Financial constraints, technical needs and capacities and institutional set-up for identifying and reporting on needed and received support on continuous basis identified. Protocol on such national mechanism described with a view to strengthen national system in this segment.
Thus, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Develop the Chapter on Technological, Financial and Capacity Building Needs and Gaps, including all above mentioned information.
- Present major findings of the analysis at various meetings/round tables, including, but not limited to: Project Management Board and Working Group on Mitigation and Adaptation.
Main project deliverables will include the following:
I. First draft of the Chapter on Technological, Financial and Capacity Building Needs and Gaps – 25th July 2021.II.Final Chapter on Technological, Financial and Capacity Building Needs and Gaps – 25th August 2021.
Time duration and travel:
The assignment will be carried out within 35 consultancy days from 1st July until 25th August 2021. Due to the nature of the assignment, the consultant would have to closely collaborate with the Ministry of Ecology, Spatial Planning and Urbanism, i.e. its Division for Climate Change.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in the thematic areas relevant to the assignment (e.g. natural, technical, environmental sciences);
- Minimum 5 years of experience in development of similar analysis in climate change, related to capacity development and climate finance related programmes and projects.
- Participation in at least 3 similar projects related to climate change and UNFCCC reporting.
- Excellent knowledge of the United Nations Framework for Climate Change (UNFCCC) reporting and Paris Agreement;
- Demonstrable experience in environment sector, especially climate change, including knowledge on roles and responsibilities of relevant national stakeholders and institutions.
- Experience in policy/regulatory/financial frameworks related to climate change.
- Fluency in English with good writing, presentation and communication skills.
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by June 22, 2021 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV or P11 that can be downloaded at https://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".