Business Innovation Consultant 1
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
JOB TITLE: Business Innovation Consultant, United Nations World Food Programme
LEVEL: Consultant (Junior) Multiple positions
DUTY STATION: Rome, Italy/ Remote (Visa support offered)
DURATION: 6 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Over the past years the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has responded to an unprecedented level of emergencies, while maintaining ongoing operations. This increased demand stretches the organization which means WFP has to find new approaches and ways of working to ensure we are channelling every available resource to the people we serve.
The Business Innovation Unit (BIU) was established in 2015 to manage change and to promote innovation as part of WFP’s Innovation and Knowledge Management division:
- BIU acts as the “management consulting arm” of WFP
- BIU is composed of staff with top-tier management consulting backgrounds (e.g. Bain, BCG, McKinsey) as well as UN experience
We execute projects on behalf of Executive Directors, Assistant Secretary Generals, and Directors across the UN system, and have become a trusted advisor to WFP and other entities (e.g. UN Women, UNFPA, Business Innovation Group). Our focus is on end-to-end solutions, including problem assessment, data analysis, operational model design, change plan and implementation monitoring.
- Execution of Business Innovation projects
- Overall Innovation and Change Management priorities
Depending on time of joining, the candidate’s specific experience and current corporate priorities, the candidate will be responsible for the full delivery of a project work stream. Examples of specific deliverables are:
Corporate Executive Director, Board and divisional key initiatives
- Advise Division Managers on prioritization of key corporate initiatives
- Participate in discussions with team members and other divisions to align on objectives, activities, timelines and outputs for the Business Innovation agenda as applicable
- Provide analytical and project management support
- Support initiative owners in driving implementation forward
UN Reform: Support Head of Business Innovation on UN Reform implementation inside the WFP and part of an inter-agency project team
- Explore benefits for potential global / local collaboration with sister agencies
- Identify Business Operations Strategy best practices for collaboration and support cross-COs knowledge transfer
- Support UN Reform Business Innovation Group to perform internal analysis on service delivery effectiveness and efficiency, review current service approaches at global and country levels and support pilot launches as needed
- Support communication efforts on UN Reform
Additional support to divisional needs
- Support knowledge management reviews and best practices sharing
- Additional support requests, as required
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Preference for a degree in business, economics or engineering
Over 2 years of progressively responsible national and/or international experience in a business or international relations related position. 2 year experience in change management, management consulting or finance required. Additional work experience desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Ability to develop new strategies and innovative projects
• Good analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative: ability to perform advanced analysis in excel and produce high-quality written materials, including powerpoint presentations as well as text documents;
• Experience with optimization processes (e.g. optimization of strategic planning, sourcing, logistics, finance processes, performance management, etc.)
• Collaborative spirit to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures, with credibility and diplomacy;
• Time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully, and to work on tight deadlines;
• Self-motivated and able to work with a certain degree of autonomy and/ or in team;
• Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme.
In addition to a high proficiency in written and spoken English, knowledge of a
second UN language is a plus.
WFP supports Visa applications and the position is based in Rome, Italy.
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 5 July 2021
Ref.: VA No. 142608
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.