Finance and Administration Assistant - Pacific Regional Education Framework (PacREF)
Suva (Fiji )
- Attractive local package
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Join the principal development organisation in the Pacific region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The vision of the Educational Quality and Assessment Programme (EQAP) is to be ‘the agency for educational quality in the Pacific region’. Its mission is to enhance the quality of education and training for Pacific learners so they realise the benefits of lifelong learning. EQAP seeks to promote the following core values within the context of SPC’s corporate values:
- a culture of quality;
- a culture of continuous improvement;
- cultural and political sensitivity;
- respect for the autonomy and priorities of the education system in each Pacific Island country and territory (PICT); and
- assimilation of the expressed needs of countries in its delivery of technical services.
The Pacific Regional Education Framework (PacREF) is a 12-year design agreed to by the Forum Education Ministers to direct education priorities across the region. EQAP, as one of the two regional institutions in the implementing partnership, has responsibility to lead the planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning (PMEL) of the PacREF.
The Finance and Administration Assistant - PacREF will assist with the management of project accounting, audit, and budgetary controls, monitoring of project and financial performance/progress, compliance with Donor requirements, procurement for works & services contracts, disbursement of funds and contracting with Pacific island countries. The position will also assist the Team Leader with the administrative and coordination duties associated with the project and be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the project office.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Project Accounting Administration
- Project Finance Support
- Logistics and Travel Support for meetings/workshops/events
- Programme Administration Support
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant experience business administration or commerce, or equivalent work experience that is both relevant and current
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years of experience in donor project financial reporting
- Demonstrated experience in conference management and event organisation, logistics and travel
- Relevant practical experience in procurement, administration, travel support and financial aspects of large and complex projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a wide range of individuals in a multicultural environment
- Experience using Navision Software or similar finance software
- Strong PC based computer skills, preferably with Microsoft Programmes (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 22 June 2024
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 7 in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles - SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 22 June 2021 until 11:45pm Fiji time
Applicants must apply online.
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
- Relating to one procurement system with which you are familiar, identify three main principles of procurement and select the one principle you feel is most important and explain why you selected this particular principle.
- Describe three key steps you would take to set up a reporting system for financial project management to ensure that the Project Manager has timely financial information for risk management.
- Refer to one example where you have been involved in the financial management of a project funded by sources external to your organisation. Please highlight two key lessons you have learned from that process.
JD - Finance and Administration Assistant (PacREF) .pdf