Community-based surveillance coordinator (100% temporary position till 31st of December 2021)
The Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross) is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers operating in over 190 countries. The RCRC Movement’s mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. In Norway, the Red Cross has over 44 000 volunteers in 380 localities across the country. Read more: www.redcross.no
Norwegian Red Cross is now hiring a Public health/community-based surveillance Coordinator (PH CBS Coordinator) in a 100% temporary position till 31st of December 2021. Community-based surveillance (CBS) forms part of NorCross’ specialisation within Public Health in emergencies with a specific focus on epidemic preparedness and response. CBS is a key tool in detection and response to disease outbreaks and epidemics. As a strategic priority for the organisation, NorCross has been leading efforts in developing CBS tools and methodology, in partnership with IFRC and Belgian Red Cross, over the past 3 years. NorCross has developed the Community-based surveillance platform Nyss – an open source software for CBS, implementation of which is now ready for scaling.
The PH CBS Coordinator will have a strategic responsibility for developing, maintaining and implementing health risk management within emergency operations, including operational research and evidence-generation. They will collaborate closely with RCRC movement partners in the development and scaling of CBS as the main tool for early detection and response to disease outbreaks.
The application deadline is 22 June 2021. The start date will be 1 July 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is a full-time temporary contract until 31 December 2021.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Leads further development, implementation and scaling of CBS, including quality assurance of tools and methodologies
- Responsible for the epidemiological and public health quality assurance and operational relevance of Nyss and CBS implementations
- Leads on operational research and impact assessments of CBS and Public Health risk management
- Maintains, develops and ensures preparedness of emergency response/surge deployments within Public Health
- Provides technical support to PH delegates deployed to emergency operations, including briefing, training, capacity building
- Can be called upon to support NorCross regional teams, to participate in or lead the Task Force or surge missions and for leading operations.
- Other tasks as required
The position will form part of the Public health team within the Disaster Risk Management Unit, and report to the Project Lead for Community Based Surveillance.
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology or Public Health
- Proven analytical skills and experience from undertaking relevant (operational) research
- Medical doctor or nursing degree (not required, but advantage)
- In-depth understanding of CBS relevant technical standards and the operationalization of those standards in humanitarian projects.
- Minimum 5 years of professional, operational experience in health in emergencies with relevant program management or technical advisory roles at HQ and/or field level
- Ability & permission to live and work in Norway. The position is based in Oslo.
We are searching for a person with the following qualities:
- Very good ability to take initiative and accept the responsibility for results
- Very good ability to communicate effectively
- Very good ability to work in an international culturally diverse setting
- Very good ability to build networks and relations
- Very good ability to cooperate and share competency
- Good ability to lead others
- Good ability to work towards achieving objectives and results
- Good ability to approach analytically
- Good ability to innovate
- Available to deploy for short term missions at short notice on request
Skills and knowledge:
- Successful and proven experience from developing, implementing and evaluating surveillance systems in emergency/crisis/complex settings
- Proven experience in public health in emergencies
- Proven skills in training, facilitation, coaching and development of staff and volunteers.
- Strong computer and data literacy (data management, epidemiological and statistical analysis)
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork skills
- Good understanding of the Red Cross/Red Cross role, principles and values
- Excellent coordination skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good judgment and decision making
- Ability and willingness to travel as required
- Personal suitability will be emphasised in the selection process
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken)
- Working proficiency in Norwegian (B2-Bergenstest), French preferable
We can offer:
- You will be part of a strategic and prioritized international project within Norwegian Red Cross
- A dynamic and meaningful job in the world's largest humanitarian organization
- Very good pension and insurance schemes
- The employment relationship is regulated by the current collective agreement (s) in the company, currently: The salaried employee agreement between NHO and YS / Negotia
- The position will require work outside regular working hours. Travel will be required
Please note that to be eligible to apply, candidates must have, and be able to prove, current and valid permission to live and work in Norway; Norwegian Red Cross is unable to provide relocation support.
The Red Cross takes diversity seriously. We encourage everyone who is qualified to apply, regardless of age, gender, disability, outlook on life or ethnic background. We want to create an accessible and pleasant workplace
For further information regarding the position, please contact Head of Disaster Management Unit Marcos Diaz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 22 June 2021
Start-up: 1 July 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.