Senior Project Control Assistant
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).Senior Project Control Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. Other activities of project control include: review of project agreements, project audit, monitoring that there is synchrony between financial and operational performance, participation in multi-functional monitoring activities and reviews, tracking project risk management, and supporting project closure.
It is essential to maintain segregation of duties between project control and programme functions for effective accountability and oversight. Where there is no Project Control Officer, General Service staff performing project control functions should report directly to the Head of Office.
The Senior Project Control Assistant receives general guidance and work plans from the supervisor. They work independently on regular assignments under the supervision of the Project Control Officer or to the same management level as programme. The incumbent has no supervisory role.
Project Control staff play a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to reviewing the internal control systems of implementing partners.
- Assist with monitoring that IP agreements are established for each project.
- Prepare reports on project expenditures levels and patterns in relation to the Country Operations Plan and project agreements and implementation rates to track project progress.
- Assist with the verification of the financial status of projects by researching files, calculating costs and anticipating expenditures, to that the balance available under each project can be easily monitored.
- Bring to the attention of supervisors and programme officers any significant variances at the office level in: budget execution, percentage of project execution, time schedule, and quality of projects against specifications or terms and conditions.
- Escalate IP issues to supervisors.
- Recommend acceptance or non-acceptance of IPRs and payment of instalments.
- Contact implementing partners for project related matters.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Job experience in the field of accounting/finance, auditing, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management.
Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
Excellent communication skills.
Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
Working experience with ERP financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP).
FI-Auditing practical experience
FI-PeopleSoft Financial Management
UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Knowledge of English and Spanish.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, including in particular when supervising others, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties by demonstrating no tolerance for sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, abuse of power, harassment including sexual harassment, and sexual exploitation and abuse. As individual workforce members and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and take these issues seriously by speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources, as well as, when required/appropriate, report, for corrective action to be taken, whilst considering a victim-centered-approach.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. Competencies as defined in Job Profile Please note that English and Spanish are essential for this Job Opening. - In case of trouble, please contact with us through the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This is a General Services position for which having residency and working permit in Spain is required at the time of applying.
- Only successfully screened candidates will be invited to sit a written test and to hold a personal interview. Please note that we are not in a position to acknowledge all applications received.
See below for this postion's Operational Context
If the Operation Context is available for this job vacancy it can be found by either:
a) Selecting the "Operational Context" hyperlink present at the top of the Job Description.
b) Cutting and pasting the URL shown below into a new web page.
- The application platform performs better using CHROME.
- The application process might take a while to be fully completed. We strongly recommend interested candidates to start the process as soon as possible and to avoid applying at the last minute. Late applications will not be accepted.