Junior Communications Consultant
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Job Title: Junior Communications Consultant
Type of Contract: Junior Consultant
Division: RAM – Research, Assessment and Monitoring Division
Duty Station (City, Country): HQ Rome, Italy
Duration: 6 months (start date June 2021)
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The Hunger Monitoring Unit (RAMAH) in WFP’s Research, Assessment and Monitoring (RAM) Division manages WFP’s global hunger monitoring systems. This entails the establishment and oversight of WFP’s near real-time or continuous food security monitoring systems in dozens of countries, as well as developing advanced analytical approaches to ensure timely and holistic views of the food security situation globally. RAMAH also manages WFP’s HungerMapLIVE and mobile Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (mVAM) initiative which is focused on the use of remote mobile data collection tools and data analytics to effectively monitor the food security situation of hard-to-reach populations in near real-time. While aiming to automate and refine existing approaches, mVAM has further expanded to additional data collection tools, data sources and analyses, including the use of two-way communication tools and predictive analytics.
RAM seeks a junior consultant to: i) support the development and delivery of RAMAH’s communications portfolio, strategy and initiatives; ii) develop impactful content (written, visual and audio) and data storytelling to showcase the RAMAH’s products, analyses and initiatives.
Support the development and implementation of RAMAH’s Communications Portfolio, including:
- Writing blogs and thought pieces to be published in a variety of internal and external platforms
- Graphic conceptualization and development of research/data to create impactful multimedia assets (audio, video, etc) – with an emphasis on video production and graphic design.
- Support the development of RAMAH’s social media strategy, planning and content production
- Produce engaging content for social media channels
- Production and dissemination of data products, including the HungerMapLIVE and its recurring reports (Weekly Hunger and COVID-19 Snapshots and Insights and Key Trends)
- Development of internal and external communications products, such as factsheets, reports, presentations, and articles
Maintain and update RAMAH’s internal and external platforms (blogs, intranet, and other WFP platforms)
Provide communications support to RAMAH colleagues in COs and RBs, remotely
Provide ad hoc communications support for key events, presentations, and engagements
Perform other duties as assigned
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
Content developed for RAMAH's platforms, including:
- At least 2 blogs/thought pieces written per month
- At least 1 podcast episode edited and produced per month
- At least 15 social media posts produced per month
Timely Unit and Divisional Support provided as requested
Relevant and up-to-date core communications materials: data products, presentations, web posts, social media, advocacy materials, guidances, as needed.
Timely design and development support (in the form of mock-ups, concepts, and the like) for flagship platforms such as the HungerMapLIVE.
Timely production and dissemination of recurring products such as weekly Hunger and COVID-19 Snapshots alongside Insights and Key Trends.
Any other tasks, materials and content as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, Graphic Design, Marketing or other relevant fields.
Experience in communications and content production. Knowledge of graphic design and audio-visual production, editing and post-production
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, InCopy).
- Excellent written oral and communication skills.
- Graphic design skills
- Knowledge of audio/video production software and tools. HTML, CSS and WordPress a plus.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks within tight deadlines
Excellent spoken and written English. Knowledge of a second UN language is a plus.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 15 June 2021
Ref.: VA No. 142570
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.