Social Media Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
The Executive Office includes the Office of the Administrator and Associate Administrator. It is the coordinating platform through which the Administrator provides leadership and strategic guidance to the organization, guides the elaboration of its strategic and programmatic priorities, and ensures that UNDP’s overall management and internal coordination are conducted in full compliance with its mandate, accountability and reporting requirements.
The Office of the Administrator (OA) is responsible for the strategic positioning of the Administrator and Associate Administrator to better leverage high impact opportunities for thought leadership and influencing.
This includes the strategic management of the Administrator and Associate Administrator's forward agendas to focus their participation on high value and/or high visibility events, bilateral meetings and country visits to help drive forward the Strategic Plan and providing effective media and communications support for their strategic positioning.
Reporting to the Administrator Press Secretary, the Social Media Consultant will focus on social media platforms, seeking to raise the profile of UNDP’s leadership by developing and publishing content on a range of social media platforms and channels.
The consultant will also develop content in collaboration with UNDP stakeholders and other partners and cross-promote content for suitable social media campaigns by other entities.
The consultant will also research and identify new and innovative content and approaches to drive engagement on social media channels managed through the Executive Office, including through providing recommendations on new and emerging platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Conduct a comprehensive review and analysis of social media channels currently managed through the UNDP Executive Office and establish baseline engagement metrics over. · Provide detailed recommendations based off this review on ways to increase engagement amongst existing audiences and attract new audiences to Executive Office social media platforms.· Develop a social media communications strategy and plan for all existing social media platforms.· Research and propose new social media channels and platforms and provide recommendations on how to successfully drive engagement, including evaluation of ongoing capacity needs to maintain and develop content.· Research and identify content related to UNDP’s project activities globally with a view to creating appropriate social media content that tells the story of the organisation’s work in a compelling way.· Work closely with UNDP bureaus to identify and develop content based around key UNDP events and knowledge products.· Provide ongoing metrics and analysis of social media channels and platforms managed through UNDP Executive Office. · Develop content on a day-to-day basis for dissemination through social media channels including written content, video and graphics. · Identify and reach out to external partners to support and amplify social media campaigns and initiatives aligned to UNDP’s mandate and mission.· Advise on workflow and standard operating procedures for social media support for a variety of UNDP initiatives including events and knowledge products.· Collaborate with UNDP’s corporate social media team to develop and cross post content across UNDP’s corporate channels and platforms. · Provide advice and support to UNDP Country Offices on amplifying messaging through Executive Office social media channels and platforms.· Support ongoing communications work.
Expected outputs and deliverables: Produce content and support campaigns for and organize events at:
· Deliverable 1 (10 percent of time): Comprehensive review and analysis of UNDP Executive Office social media presence baseline engagement and reach metrics.· Deliverable 2 (30 percent of time): Detailed t and reach including quantifiable targets over time. · Deliverable 3 (40 per cent of time) : Ongoing support to developing content for Executive Office social media channels and platforms.· Deliverable 4 (20 Percent of time): Advice and guidance on best practices and new and innovative creative ideas to increase engagement and reach with existing and new audiences.
• Excellent oral and writing skills.
• Efficiency, accuracy, organizational skills, self-management, ability to prioritize, and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated commitment to timely delivery of projects.
• Ability to work with cooperatively in a multicultural and international environment
• Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UNDP in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments and have a consistent behavior towards others
• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s Degree or equivalent Advanced Degree in media relations, journalism, publishing, international relations or similar disciplines or related field of expertise.
• Three to five years of relevant work experience developing social media strategies at the national or international level.
• Experience in in the field of public relations, social media and/or communications at the national or international level highly desiderable
• Prior experience in the UNDP will be an asset.
• Fluency in English.
• Writing skills and verbal fluency in another UN language is an asset.
• Solid experience in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks;
• Expertise in the use of social networking tools.
• Some knowledge of Adobe Indesign Illustrator and/or Photoshop desirable.
• Some knowledge of video editing desirable.