Head of Programme
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Head of Programme in Yaounde, Cameroon. The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been operational in Cameroon since 2017 to support Central African Refugees in the eastern part of the country (Adamawa and East) and in Southwest region for IDPs and host communities’ victims of the anglophone conflict. DRC Cameroon currently implements Protection, Food Security and Livelihood and Shelter / NFI projects.
About the job
Under the supervision of the Country Director, The Head of Programme is responsible for the quality of program development and implementation, and for developing the program strategy for DRC in Cameroon. He/she reports directly to the Country Director and is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
People Management and Internal Communication
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for expatriate and national staff on technical issues and program cycle management, based on assessment of the critical program improvement needs of the Cameroon mission
- Work in close cooperation with programme and support staff in Cameroon, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in other regions and HQ
Program strategy, business development and Grants management
- Develop, disseminate and implement the Cameroon programme strategy within DRC team
- Ensure the development of sector programme strategy in line with the Cameroon programme strategy. Guide Programme teams in the implementation of strategies
- Lead on the development of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong cross-departmental coordination between programme and support teams, including field teams, as well as close liaison and timely consultation with RO/HQ
- Contribute to the development of a fundraising strategy in line with the Cameroon programme strategy
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships in line with the Cameroon programme strategy and DRC partnership management policy
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations
Quality and accountability of the programs
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards, including application and harmonisation across field bases
- Ensure that DRC values and code of conduct are respected and upheld, including through setting a personal example
- Assess and improve DRC Cameroon’s accountability measures in accordance with DRC’s global Core Humanitarian Standard commitments
- In supervision of the MEAL team, ensure that DRC Cameroon implements high-quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) across all projects, including that learning is captured, capitalized and used in program design and implementation
- Oversee the development and timely submissions of high-quality donor reports
External relations and representation
- Together with Country Director, ensure adequate bilateral representation of DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regard to programme and participation in coordination meetings as relevant
To be successful in this role we expect you to have minimum 5 years’ experience overseas in complex emergencies, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs as well as a relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in international relations and/or development, political science or similar field. Moreover, we expect the following:
- Min. 3 years’ experience in staff management and development
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and tradition
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken French and English
- Experience in a Central / Western African country
- Experience with DRC’s main donors in Cameroon: ECHO, SDC, BHA, UN fuds, etc.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months renewable upon funding
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompanied position
Start date: Mid-October 2021
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than two pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 25 June
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact our job support at drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.