Project Officer -Freedom of Expression and Media Development
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Post Number : 10287
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Communication and Information Sector (CI)
Duty Station: Phnom Penh
Job Family: Communication and Information
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 23-JUN-2021 - RE-ADVERTISED
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Duration of contract: 1 year, with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance).OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office in UNESCO Phnom Penh Office, in consultation with UNESCO Regional Offices, and the Communication and Information Sector, the incumbent will provide technical assistance, coordination and management support for implementation of the UNESCO Phnom Penh Office’s Extrabudgetary project on “Strengthening Media Development and Freedom of Expression”, in partnership with United Nations Human Rights, local media community, Ministry of Information and line ministries as well as relevant stakeholders.
In particular, s/he will:
- Support the overall management of the project, including facilitating timely implementation of project activities, managing project contracts, and preparing project work-plans, progress reports and budgets, and managing project evaluation and management framework to ensure that results are aligned with performance indicators of the project.
- Provide technical assistance in the field of media development, particularly in freedom of expression, Media and Information Literacy, safety of journalists, access to information, and gender equality in media. Produce tools, resources and policy documents. Recommend and contribute to the expansion of a knowledge base in this area, and propose approaches and develop strategies, in line with the project objectives.
- Ensure coordination of national efforts in support of freedom of expression and the safety of journalists through inter-sectoral mechanisms and working groups, and building alliances and networks among stakeholders, in line with project objectives and work plan.
- Liaise with UNESCO's partners, including the National Commission, Ministry of Information, United Nations agencies, inter-governmental organizations, academic institutions, media-houses, civil society organisations, NGOs, and private sector in order to ensure a high level of responsiveness in UNESCO’s technical assistance and the alignment of project activities with ongoing initiatives and national priorities.
- Support in identifying experts and partners, including preparing Terms of Reference and providing technical assistance for subject-expert missions, assessments and studies.
- Develop and strengthen strategic partnerships, including with journalists associations and organizations, human rights organizations, relevant ministries and government bodies, media training institutions and other relevant stakeholders working on media development and freedom of expression in Cambodia.
- Organize and coordinate workshops, conferences and capacity building programmes, to strengthen the capacities of CSOs, media and authorities on Freedom of Expression, the safety of journalists and media and information literacy.Carry out any other relevant tasks as assigned by the Head of Office in UNESCO Phnom Penh Office.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in the field of communication, media, journalism, or related areas.
- A minimum of four years of professional experience in project management in media development and freedom of expression.
Skills & Competencies:
- Strong communications skills, including writing news items, articles, social media material and reports.
- Good capacity to ensure accuracy of documents, through research, reference sources, quotes and evidence-based recommendations.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-skilled and multi-cultural environment.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills.
- Ability to effectively manage priorities and competing demands, maintaining high levels of accuracy while ensuring coordination of activities across diverse units and countries.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high–level partners.
- Ability to maintain partnerships and fundraise in the area of media development and freedom of expression.
- Good IT skills, including knowledge of MS software (Word, Excel etc.)
Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Experience in designing and managing international media development projects throughout the project cycle, including providing technical assistance and management of results.
- Proven experiences working in a coordination role, dealing with governments, development partners and engaging various stakeholders.
- Experience at the international level in conducting outreach, building partnerships and increasing revenue.
- Experience in Results-Based Management of projects.
- Experience in United Nations Agencies, Funds or Programmes.
Skills & Competencies:
- Good competencies to manage social media content and platforms as well as to track information online,including data on webcasting, live streaming connections, social media channels (downloads, hits, video andaudio plays, unique page views, etc.).
- Knowledge of issues and actions in the field of media pluralism and diversity.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.