Education Research Consultant
Multiple locations (Multiple locations)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
The purpose of this consultancy is to conduct a comprehensive desk research of the most recent education strategies, assessments, and a mapping of active Formal and informal education, social emotional learning (SEL) and Early Childhood Development (ECD) programs in Northeast Syria, Northwest Syria and Turkey (Syrian refugees-related). This will support the IRC to develop a strategy to expand its education programming in Syria by determining its added value to the education response based on the needs and gaps.
Related IRC Education Outcomes (oef.irc.org):
- Young girls and boys (0 to 5) have cognitive and social-emotional skills.
- School aged girls and boys (6 to 14) have literacy, numeracy and social-emotional skills.
- Young women and men (15 to 24) have market relevant livelihood skills, literacy and numeracy skills, and social-emotional skills.
Terms of Reference:
1. Initial consultation with IRC staff to refine and reaffirm scope of work
2. Desk research to include, but not limited to a comprehensive overview of:
- Access barriers to education, SEL and ECD, and how do they vary across gender or age.
- Quality barriers to education, SEL and ECD
- System Strengthening: SWOT analysis (education and social-emotional learning)
- National strategies and frameworks for education
- Nurturing Care Framework (NCF)
- Major donors and funding landscape for education, SEL and ECD in Syria and Turkey (active and in pipeline) including funding priorities.
- Most recent education assessments nationally (including SEL and ECD)
- Major education programming nationally (including SEL and ECD)
- Approved curricula, their effectiveness, acceptance and accreditation.
- Training of education personnel, and how to build their educational capabilities.
- Learning outputs, how they are carried out and what are their mechanisms and tools officially approved by the INGOs/LNGOs working in the education sector.
- The role of the education working group in coordination in NES, and the extent of the IRC’s contribution to it now
3. Stakeholder analysis specific to education sector (including SEL)
- Education, SEL and ECD relevant local authorities
- Civil society organizations and their strategic placement to respond to education, SEL and ECD. This includes potential IRC partners, as well as analysis of potential competitors.
- Other INGOs engaging in education services provision
- Private Sector as related to education, SEL and ECD (mainly in Turkey)
- Higher Education and Vocational Trainings
- Education, SEL and ECD programing adaptations considering COVID-19 restrictions, opportunities and challenges
4. Technical findings and recommendations report for IRC education strategy & interventions (this will be based on IRC outcomes and builds on the desk research and stakeholder analysis)
5. Support the IRC in conducting a design/strategy workshop to shape our education, SEL and ECD programs and develop a workplan to expand its education programming in Syria and Turkey.
The desk research should leverage IRC and partners current programming, data and evidence generated, technical expertise and outcomes for education, SEL and ECD, with the objective of making recommendations to IRC program design for education programming, focusing on IRC’s value add in Syria and Turkey.
1. Final approved scope of work after technical meeting with IRC team
- Revised Terms of Reference
2. Desk Review and Summary
- Outline and methodology of the Desk Review
- Desk Review report
- PPT of the desk review that includes the key findings.
- File of all associated documents
3. Stakeholder engagement analysis report
- List of specific government bodies, institutions, and individuals
- Outline of the methodology for stakeholder engagement
- Proposed list of questions to targeted stakeholders
- Stakeholder engagement analysis report
- PPT of the stakeholder engagement report that includes the key findings.
4. Technical Recommendations report
- Proposed intervention design (include options, which leverage IRC program models)
5. Post design workshop report