Consultant for Executive Office
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Bangkok Time): 01-JUL-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Being directly attached to the Director’s Office, the Executive Office (EO) at UNESCO Bangkok is responsible for Education Sector’s regional programme coordination in the Asia-Pacific. There are 14 offices in the region including the Bangkok office. EO also provides support and guidance to the programme staff on the principles of Results-Based Management (RBM), Human Rights Based Approach (HRBA) and Gender Equality for ensuring the delivery of results of quality. Furthermore, EO supports the office-wide collaboration among programme sectors (education, culture, natural sciences, social and human sciences, communication information) in development and implementation of projects and activities to pursue the achievement of SDGs as well as resource mobilization and outreach. EO is in charge of a few cross-cutting themes such as the prevention of violent extremism which is one of the UNESCO’s priorities. EO also acts as the regional focal point for the UNESCO Associated Schools Network.WORK ASSIGNMENT
Scope of Assignment
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education, Bangkok, and the direct supervision of Head of the Executive Office (EO), she/he will be actively involved in a range of activities related to the strategic programming of the office. Specific tasks foreseen include the followings:
- Support the strategic programming of Education Sector (ED) work in Bangkok and in the Asia-Pacific region in the context of the Agenda 2030 in particular SDG4 in close cooperation with ED staff in Bangkok and 13 other Field Offices in the region.
- Contribute to the implementation of the projects and activities in the areas related to SDG 4.7, in particular on education for sustainable development (ESD) and global citizenship education (GCED), including the management of a regional GCED network, and prevention of violent extremism through education (PVE-E) in cooperation with Field Offices.
- Contribute to the development of projects and activities for mobilizing the UNESCO networks in the region, especially the UNESCO Associated Schools Project Network (ASPnet).
- Contribute to the implementation of the office-wide Public Information and Outreach Strategy through actively participating in the conception of communication materials and events.
- Contribute to promoting multisectoral cooperation (education, culture, natural sciences, social sciences, communication and information) towards the achievement of SDGs through developing project ideas and participating in their implementation.
- Perform any other duties required by the immediate supervisor and/or the Director of the office.
Deliverables, Timeframe and Payment Schedule
Each month a monthly report on the achievements of work assignments along with relevant necessary programme documents.
The consultant will work within the UNESCO office or virtually depending on the condition advised from the office.
Advanced university degree in UNESCO’s field of competence, in particular education, social and human sciences, law, human rights, and/or other areas which support UNESCO’s work such as development studies, human resources, management studies, international relations, etc.
At least 2 years of professional experience in project management and coordination in the field of education. Previous work experience in a UN organization and knowledge of Asia and the Pacific countries are desirable.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Analytical skills and ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically, and to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Very good IT skills and knowledge of media and information literacy.
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
Previous work experience in a UN organization and knowledge of Asia and the Pacific countries are desirable.
Interested candidates should click on “Apply Now” and download and complete the Employment History form (Word document). Prior to uploading the Employment History Form, at the end of the document, please insert the following required information:
- An up-to-date CV stating details of educational qualifications, work experience, including prior experience of similar work;
- A statement indicating how your qualification and experience make you suitable for the assignment;
- The proposed fee to undertake the assignment. Any travel and subsistence requirements should be indicated separately.
Note: The application is online. If you are unable to attach the requirements in the system, please inform us at email@example.com
- Only applications providing the information requested in the application procedure will be considered.
- Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.