GD DRC Finance Associate
Goma (Congo Democratic)
The finance team currently supports finance and accounting activities in eight (soon to be nine) countries in Africa. As a member of the regional finance team, the Finance Associate will be supporting finance and accounting in DRC, and as assigned, fill in other roles from time to time. He/ she will report to the Cluster Finance Manager, (North and West Africa) and have dotted reporting lines to the Country Director in DRC. The Finance Associate will also work with colleagues in the finance team to deliver on pillar goals.
We are looking for someone with a good technical background, strong analytical skills, strong collaborator and communicator, an endless drive for improvement, a solutions-oriented mindset, an ability to deliver high-quality accounting on tight deadlines, and the flexibility to adapt to quickly changing needs while being highly detail-oriented. This will be an individual contributor role, so we are looking for someone who is organized and self-driven.
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 900,000 people, and launched offices in 8 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
Location: Goma, DRC
What you’ll be doing:
- Documenting transactions in accordance with GD's global bookkeeping standards in GD's accounting software
- Preparing and presenting budget to actual reports
- Assisting in the preparation of budgets
- Assisting on other monthly and periodic close tasks as assigned with time
- Processing and making payroll, statutory payments, vendor payments and allowances
- Implementing asset management protocols including asset verifications and reconciliations
- Implementing payment and procurement protocols, including ensuring proper documentation and adherence to controls
- Managing liquidity in country
Risk / Compliance
- Understanding, advising and implementing compliance requirements from tax regulators and donors
- Assisting in managing in-country audits and special reporting to donors and regulatory bodies (immigration, NGO regulator etc )
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3+ years of professional experience in accounting or finance
- Professional qualification (CPA/ ACCA level)
- Working language competence in English and French.
- Competence in Excel and financial & accounting software (e.g. Intacct, QuickBooks).
- Alignment to GD values (listed below).
- Bonus: Proven experience working in a fast-paced, start-up, or matrix work environment.
- Recipients first - We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
- Team next - We do what’s best for organizational - not individual - success.
- Be proactively candid - We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
- Create positive energy - We strive to be a source - not drain - of energy for our colleagues.
- Think rigorously; act quickly - We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action - not debate.
- Accept reality. Propose solutions - We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
- Be productively ambitious - We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
- Know yourself and grow - We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**