Regional Senior Advisor (Project Management) (retainer)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The Office of the Regional Director (ORD) for the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LCR) oversees UNOPS activities in over 17 countries. All throughout the organization works hand in hand with national partners to achieve their sustainable development goals with our expertises and capacities in procurement, infrastructure, procurement, fund management and human resources. In particular, UNOPS supports partners in building their own capabilities while augmenting their delivery capacity most notably, but not limited to, in the areas of health procurement and infrastructure, public works and education, and fair public management.
The ORD serves support the regional activities daily, as it:
Provides expert level advice to country offices on standards and best practices
Provides strategic vision, and managerial oversight for the LCR’s portfolio, aligning regional resources to achieve UNOPS purposes.
Ensures appropriate management of the strategic and operational risks associated with the LCR’s portfolio of engagements.
Determines the scope of the UNOPS entities in the region and mobilises resources and knowledge in support of specific activities within the region.
Provides representation on behalf of the Executive Director/UNOPS and advance UNOPS Strategic Positioning
Collaborates with other ORDs and HQ Groups, particularly in informing and supporting UNOPS drive for organisational excellence.
Working under the umbrella of the Office of the Regional Director (ORD), the successful incumbent can be expected to provide strategic expert technical support to various programmes and projects throughout the Region.
The Regional Senior Advisor (Project Management) will represent the ORD based on the needs of the organization and, as such, may act as a link between the ORD and the operations in the field. S/he will work in a collaborative manner, with colleagues at all levels across the organization.
The incumbent will be under the overall supervision of the CRA and during work assignments will report directly to the Country Director of the Office receiving his/her services. .
This is a home-based retainer assignment, which will involve travel.
The Regional Senior Advisor (Project Management) will be requested to take on assignments based on regional needs and priorities defined by the Regional Director, which could involve, among other, the following activities:
Project Management hands-on and implementation support to projects and country offices (with travel and remotely)
Project Management Capacity Building Development
Strategic Advice and Support the Office of the Regional Director (ORD)
Provide expert advice on project management to the region portfolios
Knowledge sharing and management.
- Master’s degree preferably in project management, or in related development field combined with project management certification is required;
- A Bachelor’s Degree with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree;
- Certification in PRINCE2® Practitioner or PMP® is required;
- Certification in MSP® and P3O® Practitioner/PMO-CP is highly desired and will be considered as an asset.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience working in Project and Programme Management is required, including:
- Minimum 3 years managing complex projects in the international development context (required);
- Minimum 3 years in UNOPS (required);
- Experience leading programmes (required);
- Experience in a consultancy role is an asset;
- Experience in conflict and/or post-conflict project management is highly desired.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Fluency in Spanish, French or Portuguese is desired.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA - Individual Contract Agreement
- Contract level: ICS12 equivalent to IICA4 (international pay scale). The applicable pay scale will be defined according to the selected candidate profile.
- Contract duration: 12 months, renewable subject to good performance and funds availability.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.