International Specialist on forestry and RAI
Vientiane (Lao )
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The FAO Representation in Lao PDR is engaged in and working on a number of project initiatives broadly contributing to and mutually supporting the areas of sustainable and legal use of land and natural resources and responsible agriculture investment.
The international expert on forestry and RAI will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) for Lao PDR, under the technical supervision of the Forestry Officer based in Lao PDR, and other technical officers based in the Rome Head Quarters and Regional office in Bangkok, and in advisory and operational support on forestry and RAI.
The promotion of Enhancing the enabling environment for responsible investment in agriculture and food systems, the promotion of Leveraging global instruments and knowledge products, and UN-REDD Sustainable Forest Trade in the Lower Mekong Region, the office is seeking an international consultant. Considering the Covid19 related travel restrictions, the incumbent should be a current resident in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide technical advisory and operational support for the implementation of activities in Lao PDR under the GCP/INT/920/GER and the FMM/GLO/127/MUL projects to promote global instruments including the “Principles for Responsible investment in agriculture and food systems” under the Committee on World Food Security (CFS RAI) and associated ASEAN RAI, in particular to contribute to the empowerment of young people in agriculture.
• Production of draft communications and training materials, briefs/policy briefs based on outputs from the LoAs and studies conducted in Lao PDR, and other regional countries as relevant. Specifically envisaged are consolidation of reports emerging from LoAs as mentioned above, as well as contribution to the land tenure and forest cover analytical study to be undertaken under the UN-REDD project and to be used potentially as a resource for the workshop to be envisaged under the FMM program, among others;
• Providing technical advisory and operational assistance in the delivery of the UN-REDD SFT-LMR project (UNJP/GLO/795/UNJ Baby 02) focused on activities pertaining to Lao PDR, as well as to support the delivery under Outcome 1 on regional collaboration and dialogue
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in forestry, Natural Resource Management.
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in forestry, land, natural resource or related.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (French, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian) for COF.REG. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance of experience in forestry land and natural resource.
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical skill on RAI.
• Extent and relevance of experience in communication and training.
• Working experience in Lao on the topic and understanding of the local context is an advantage.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency