Evaluation Specialists – Different profiles (Evaluation Manager/Evaluation Analyst)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Office of Evaluation (OED) anchors the evaluation function in the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO). Evaluation in FAO provides results accountability using evidence based guidance to member countries and FAO’s Director-General to improve decision-making and provide oversight. Evaluation also contributes to corporate learning by offering improvements in the Organisation’s programmes, including relevance to countries, definition of objectives, design and implementation. OED also participates in system-wide evaluation initiatives, thereby contributing to assessments of developmental effectiveness by the United Nations (UN) system.
Purpose of the Call
In 2021-22, OED will conduct several evaluations requested by FAO’s governing bodies, management and resource partners. These evaluations include strategic evaluations, Country Programme Evaluations and project evaluations.
FAO is looking for international consultants who will join OED Group III as Evaluation Manager (one position) and Evaluation Analyst (two positions).
Both, evaluation analysts and evaluation manager would be under the overall responsibility of the Director of the Office of Evaluation and under the direct supervision of Group III Leader or of the evaluation manager assigned to a specific evaluation.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Evaluation manager will contribute to the conduct of the Evaluation of FAO Contribution to SDG 15. He/she will also manage one or two country programme evaluations and a limited number (1/2) project evaluations.
Responsibilities linked to the management of evaluations include:
• Prepare the evaluation Concept Note and Terms of Reference according to OED evaluation guidelines;
• Select, recruit and supervise the evaluation team;
• Prepare the evaluation budget
• Ensure that all actors take part in the evaluation exercises
• Provide guidance to the evaluation team and ensure that quality standards are respected, according to the OED evaluation procedures
• Comment, review and disseminate the evaluation report
• Participate in OED’s internal meetings;
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by the OED Director or the Senior Evaluation Officer
• Country Programme evaluations include leadership of the evaluation and consequently drafting of main deliverables, including evaluation report
Evaluation Analyst (two positions)
The Evaluation analysts will support the conduct of SDG14 and of other evaluations under OED Group 3, in particular the conduct of Country Programme Evaluations
• Assist Evaluation Managers on specific evaluations with data analysis, logistical arrangements and/or reporting
• Identify internal and external stakeholders and support as relevant interviews and workshops
• Contribute to the drafting of evaluation deliverables (concept note/ToRs/inception report/evaluation report), providing data, info and background information.
• Carry out desk studies and research, as relevant for the strategic or country programme evaluation.
• Participate in OED’s internal meetings;
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by the OED Director or the Group Leader
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in sustainable agricultural development, agricultural economics, environmental science, development studies, social sciences, organizational development, or related disciplines
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in leading and/or managing evaluations (Evaluation Manager)
• At least 1 year of experience in data analysis, project management or evaluation (Evaluation Analyst)
• Previous experience with evaluations of FAO's work will be considered as an asset
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian or Chinese.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in a developing country
• Stakeholder engagement, facilitation skills and Interviewing skills
• Extensive, relevant experience in designing, planning, leading, and conducting evaluations
• Strong analytical and research skills
• Familiarity with the International Development system, desirably with the UN system
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency