Finance Assistant II
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
PAHO Country Offices are responsible for ensuring that the Pan American Health Organization / World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) country program of technical cooperation and its country presence provides adequate support to the national health development process and, at the same time, enables countries to shape the subregional, regional, and global health agendas. The PAHO/WHO Country Office is the basic organizational unit for technical cooperation with the country/ies, drawing on PAHO/WHO resources from all levels and all parts of the Organization.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Administrator, PWR/BRA and the direct supervision of the Finance and Budget Specialist, the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Perform a wide range of financial transactions in accordance with the Organization’s financial rules and regulations; prepare accounting entries for payments; process all payment related transactions utilizing the financial and budgetary systems; record and validate information and financial data;
- Utilize the PASB Management Information System (PMIS) and other approved budgetary and financial software programs to process financial transactions; generate standard financial status reports; assist in the process of analyzing and proposing improvements to the system of payments; ensure that records are maintained in accordance with established protocols;
- Coordinate changes to signatory panels for the Country Office bank accounts when needed, ensuring that the proposed signatory meets the requirements in accordance with the Organization’s policy governing signatory panels; report the proposed changes to FRM/HQ;
- Maintain daily cash management and forecast projections, to allow decision-making in the interest of the Organization;
- Track maturity of local currency investments and liaise with the bank and FRM/Headquarters regarding investment documentation and maturity;
- Maintain daily cash flow and monitor the local bank account to ensure that balances are kept as low as practicable, while still maintaining sufficient funds to meet all obligations;
- Account for receipts and contributions from donors and other sources, funding requirements for the replenishment of local currency accounts and repatriation of excess cash; assist with official bank reconciliation;
- Process the receipt of funds and register the corresponding bank deposits; prepare the respective documents for receipt of income to corresponding financial records in the system; communicate with the area responsible for the resources; ensure precise reconciliation with the Organization’s accounting records;
- Collaborate with the financial operations of the Shared Services Center-SSC in area of responsibility, ensuring compliance with agreed service levels and compliance with established PAHO Policies, providing services in a professional manner and promoting operational efficiencies and service improvements;
- Prepare routine correspondence, financial status reports and other documents, as requested by the supervisor;
- Assist in internal and external audits by providing the requested information about financial issues of treasury;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: Certificate of completion of high school
Desirable: Specialized training at the college, university or business school level with emphasis on finance and/or accounting would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/ and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Five years of experience in general accounting work, including experience with automated systems for financial and budgetary control operations or three years of experience in accounting/financial budgetary operations, and one year of college or university level courses towards a declared minor/major in the area of accounting, finance or business administration.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others/Deal effectively with conflicts - Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well with diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity - Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Write effectively / Share knowledge - Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Knowing and managing yourself: Remain productive /Manage stress/Continuously learn - Remains productive even in an environment where information or direction is not available, and when facing challenges; recovers quickly from setbacks, where necessary. Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others. Seeks informal and/or formal learning opportunities for personal and professional development; systematically learns new competencies and skills useful for job; takes advantage of learning opportunities to fill competencies and skill gaps.
- Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently / Deliver quality results/Take responsibility - Prioritizes work and makes planning/Organizational adjustments as necessary; seeks clarification from supervisor on timelines, as needed. Uses feedback and inputs from supervisor to achieve results. Produces quality results and has frequent discussions with supervisor to achieve results. Is action-oriented and sees tasks through to completion. Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results. Solicits and accepts direction and guidance from supervisor and team members and takes responsibility for own work and actions, as appropriate.
- Proficiency in the use of automated financial accounting systems and specialized mainframe associated with assigned responsibilities.
- Knowledge of accounting and treasury principles and practices.
- Ability to write/originate routine and non-routine correspondence and reports in accordance with established standards.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and carry out financial/accounting and administrative processes.
- Ability to maintain databases, input data, and prepare reports and documentation including special charts, graphics, etc.
- Ability to research, analyze and organize information in order to present status reports.
- Skills in planning, organizing, evaluating, problem-solving and decision-making with respect to office management processes
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direct supervision.
Essential: Very good knowledge of Portuguese and English.
Desirable: Working knowledge of Spanish would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Working knowledge of automated systems and microcomputers particularly with regard to financial, accounting, and/or administrative operations. Other IT skills, knowledge of other software programs such as Visio, Microsoft SharePoint, Project and/or advanced knowledge of Excel would be an asset.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
BRL R$ 137,518.00
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (Local Recruitment)
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan, and health insurance scheme.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Administrative/support positions in Brazil are open to Brasilia metropolitan area residents only. Candidates must be Brazil citizens or be a permanent legal resident in the country.
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official document for organizational purposes.