São Tomé (Sao Tome and Principe)
University of California Irvine Malaria Initiative (UCIMI)/ United Nations Development Fund (UNDP) Project Coordinator (PC), reporting to the UNDP Program Manager Health & Social Unit, for a large, country-wide malaria project. The PC directly supports the project activities in São Tomé and Príncipe (STP). This project is part of the UCIMI, a non-profit collaborative program made up of researchers from 5 different University of California campuses who are dedicated to the elimination of human malaria by modifying mosquito populations to prevent transmission of malaria. UCIMI works in direct partnership with São Tomé and Príncipe Ministry of Health. This position will work directly with UNDP personnel, the UCIMI/UNDP Community Engagement Focal Point, and the UCIMI Project team to provide substantive and administrative support to the project. The PC will advocate on behalf of the project goals and will ensure coordination of activities, completion of reports, finance management, and administrative support required for the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Management of the project, implementing activities by mobilizing goods and services, in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Support to programme operations (finance, asset management, administration, HR) in line with UNDP corporate rule, regulation and policies.
- Support partnership activities at project level.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders on programme management and operational matters.
- Work collaboratively and in partnership with the UCIMI/UNDP Community Engagement Focal Point and the UCIMI Project team.
- Provide regular project analysis, advice and support to the project team.
- Provide technical support and oversight for the project management team.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of systems, procedures and guidelines required for project success.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of project documents and data.
- Manage project budget and ensure proper management of project funds.
The Project Coordinator essential responsibilities will consist of:
- Coordinate the development of project progress reports (annual/quarterly/monthly).
- Coordinate and manage the UNDP specified monitoring and evaluation plans for the UCIMI project.
- Provide administrative support and coordination for the Project Review Board.
- Serve as Secretary of the Project Review Board.
- Ensure completion of required monthly progress reports from contracted partners prior to fund dispersal.
- Manage completion of project reports for each project indicator specified in the project plan.
- Provide monthly progress reports and project summary to UCIMI project leadership.
- Assist the UCIMI/UNDP Community Engagement Focal Point in the completion of data entry, data analysis and report summaries associated with community assessments or surveys.
- Oversee budget management and carryout regular review to ensure proper management and allocation of funds.
- Review, providing quality feedback and effective comments, periodic reports, specifically reporting on results, challenges, specific lessons learned, best practices and suggestions for improving project performance.
- Coordinate drafting of contracts, progress reports, memoranda of understanding and/or other necessary agreements required for the disbursement of funds for approved actions.
- Coordinate the terminal evaluation (and subsequent report) of projects and programs by independent evaluators.
- Ensure that the terms and conditions for financing, and the associated operational methods outlined in the project document, are adhered to.
- Manage the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual progress and financial reports and ensure submission to UCIMI project team, STP partners/contributors and other identified stakeholders.
- Coordinate drafting of Terms of Reference (TOR)/Scope of Work (SOW) documents for consultancies / services.
- Supervise contracted/consultancy work, review and assess products/services provided by contracts/consultants, and notify/advise the UCIMI Project leadership on quality, and recommend appropriate actions to undertake for improvement of results.
- Technology support, availability and logistics for STP engagement personnel including equipment function, connection, and provision of training/education to support efficient use of software, internet-based programs, and devices (phones, tablets, computers, etc.).
- Ensure access to required supplies, equipment and technology for project personnel and associated partners.
- Attend and participate in UCIMI project trainings and team meetings in STP.
- Assist the UCIMI/UNDP Community Engagement Focal Point with direct engagement work as needed.
- Assist the UCIMI Field Station Manager as needed.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and manage project work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Willing and able to undertake other tasks as assigned by the project leadership.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects.
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change.
- Excellent knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting.
- Excellent knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit.
- Advanced understanding of STP political and social structures.
- Exceptional computer and technology skills; high level proficiency in Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel), ability to create visual aids and comprehensive summaries from data, advanced knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and interest in and ability to learn new programs and platforms.
- Must be willing and able to travel locally (within all 7 districts of STP).
- Must be comfortable working to support the development and implementation of genetic technologies for the control of vector borne diseases, specifically genetically modified mosquitoes for the control of malaria.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in a constantly changing environment; adjusting timelines and priorities to meet the program needs.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a social science field (public health, sociology, psychology, political science, cultural studies), education or communication field.
10 + years of professional experience in program development and analysis, project management (management experience must include direct management of project budget and finances), and policy development.
Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; fluency in both Portuguese and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Reserva-se a candidatos de nacionalidade santomense.