Reproductive Health Assistant
Working under the mentorship and supervision of the Reproductive Health Officer, Reproductive Health Assistant will be responsible for coordinating the day-to-day implementation of reproductive health services delivery in Turkana County in MOH facilities. He/She will ensure quality of care is delivered at the various facilities in the selected sub-counties through routine field visits as well as link the with the other programs to ensure services delivery continues in a coordinated fashion. He/She will work closely with the Turkana County MOH and department of Reproductive Health to achieve the desired goals.
- Carry out support supervision visits together with MOH team to assess services being offered in the health facilities.
- Facilitate linkages with community partners i.e., CHVs, TBAs & community gate keepers.
- Ensure that community health volunteers in each community unit understand and implement community based maternal and newborn health protocols recommended by MOH.
- Ensure there is accurate linkage and referral of expectant mothers from the community/ clinics to the main hospital facilities for skilled delivery and management of obstetric complications.
- Ensure all emergency procedures in maternities (BEmONC and CEmONC centres) follow updated emergency obstetric care protocols.
- Supervise service delivery and data quality at the reproductive health units.
- Take lead in quality improvement project focusing on reproductive health services.
- Follow up with facility in-charges on audits of maternal, neonatal perinatal deaths as well as near misses and together with MOH staff follow up on agreed action points.
- Ensure accurate documentation, timely collection of reports associated with all health and, with the support of Health Information Records & System Officer (HIRO)
- Supervise and ensure crucial RH supplies are available in the BEmONC and CEmONC facilities to support quality delivery of reproductive health services.
- Ensure reproductive health basic protocols and other IEC materials are well displayed in the facilities i.e. EMONC protocols, neonatal resuscitation protocols, Focused ANC services and FP methods.
- Ensure the MOH referral system in place for emergency obstetric services is efficient and responsive to the emergencies arising in the project implemented sub-counties.
- Supervise utilization and support offered for referral linkages in liaison with MOH referral ambulance services.
Human Resource Management
- In liaison with MOH, and the RH Officer, facilitate logistics for training programs for hospital based health staff(Midwives, doctors) in reproductive health as well as identifying their training needs.
- Advise the RH team & MOH on personnel needs for the reproductive health activities and provide technical support in coordination with the RHM & RHO.
- Supervise and ensure the accurate usage of reproductive health and family planning program supplies at the target facilities.
- Participate in annual program planning process, budget implementation, and recommend budget revisions to ensure smooth implementation of the project.
Communication and Reporting:
- In collaboration with M&E team, supervise all statistical reports relating to reproductive health from maternity and clinics ensuring they are accurate and submitted weekly, monthly and annually.
- Supervise closely and report on reproductive health indicators as per the project objectives and targets.
- Together with MOH team, participate in maternal and neonatal death audit committee for all maternal perinatal death and near miss audits.
- Maintain an updated library of reproductive health manuals and other reproductive health resources to use as job aids for trainings.
- Ensure adequate flow of information from MOH team to the in- charges of the health facilities with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Improvement of key reproductive health indicators skilled delivery, maternal mortality ratio, and complete antenatal care coverage.
- Increased uptake of family planning services with the target sub counties as a strategy of reducing maternal mortality.
- Timely and quality reproductive health care services to Kenyan communities in Turkana County.