Reproductive Health Officer
Working under the guidance and supervision of the Reproductive Health Manager, Reproductive Health Officer will be responsible for overseeing the reproductive health services delivery in Turkana County in MOH facilities. He/She will ensure quality of care is delivered at the various facilities in the selected sub-counties as well as link the services with the other programs to ensure services delivery continues in an integrated fashion. He/She will work closely with the Turkana County MOH and department of Reproductive Health to achieve the desired goals of the project.
- Ensure reproductive health services delivery at the BEmONC and CEmONC centres is in line with MOH guidelines.
- Conduct joint support supervision visits together with MOH team to assess reproductive health services being offered in the health facilities.
- Ensure there is proper linkage and referral of expectant mothers from the community/ clinics to the main hospital facilities for skilled delivery and management of obstetric complications.
- Ensure all emergency procedures in maternities (BEmONC and CEmONC centres) follow updated emergency obstetric care protocols.
- Monitor service delivery and data quality at the reproductive health units
- Coordinate training of midwives and medical doctors on EMONC, FANC and MPDSR in line with MOH recommendations.
- Take lead in quality improvement project focusing on reproductive health services.
- Follow up with facility in-charges on audits of maternal, neonatal perinatal deaths as well as near misses and together with MOH staff follow up on agreed action points.
- Maintain a tool that monitors progress in the implementation of action points from the various audits carried out by the maternal ad perinatal audit committee.
- Monitor and ensure essential RH supplies are available in the BEmONC and CEmONC facilities to support quality delivery of reproductive health services.
- Ensure reproductive health basic protocols and other IEC materials are well displayed in the facilities i.e. EMOC protocols, neonatal resuscitation protocols, Focused ANC services and FP methods.
- Ensure the MOH referral system in place for emergency obstetric services is efficient and responsive to the emergencies arising in the project implemented sub-counties.
Human Resource Management
- In liaison with MOH, coordinate training programs for hospital based health staff(Midwives, doctors) in reproductive health as well as identifying their training needs.
- Advise the MOH on personnel needs for the reproductive health activities and provide technical support in coordination with the MOH RH department.
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of reproductive health and family planning program supplies at the target facilities.
- Participate in annual program planning process, budget implementation, and recommend budget revisions to ensure smooth implementation of the project.
Communication and Reporting:
- In collaboration with M&E team, track all statistical reports relating to reproductive health from maternity and clinics ensuring they are accurate and submitted weekly, monthly and annually.
- Monitor closely and report on reproductive health indicators as per the project objectives and targets.
- Together with MOH team, participate in maternal and neonatal death audit committee for all maternal perinatal death and near miss audits.
- Maintain an updated library of reproductive health manuals and other reproductive health resources to use as job aids for trainings.
- Ensure adequate flow of information from MOH team to the in- charges of the health facilities with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Improvement of key reproductive health indicators mainly skilled delivery, maternal mortality ratio, and complete antenatal care coverage.
- Increased uptake of family planning services with the target sub counties as a strategy of reducing maternal mortality.
- Timely and quality reproductive health care services to Kenyan communities in Turkana County.