Senior Programme Specialist (Water Sciences)
Post Number : [[6KESC0010RP]]
Grade : [[P-5]]
Parent Sector : [[Natural Sciences ]]
Duty Station: [[Nairobi]]
Job Family: [[Natural Sciences]]
Type of contract : [[Fixed Term]]
Duration of contract : [[2 years]]
Recruitment open to : [[Internal and External candidates]]
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : [[11-JUL-2021]]
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General, Natural Sciences (ADG/SC) and direct supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Nairobi Office, the incumbent will lead the Water Sciences Division activities and projects implemented in the Eastern Africa Region in order to develop, drive and ensure the delivery of a comprehensive Natural Science strategy and the design of relevant approaches, partnerships, policies, objectives and deliverables.
S/he will lead Water Sciences Division for Sub-Sharan African countries and manage the Natural Sciences staff and multi-disciplinary teams in the achievement of priorities and policy development within the context of UNESCO's Medium Term Strategy (CA), the approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global development plans such as such as 2030 agenda and related SDGs and the 2063 Africa agenda for Eastern Africa.
In particular, the Senior Programme Specialist will be expected to:Long Description
- Provide intellectual leadership to design, coordinate and monitor activities and projects under the water sciences portfolio and Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme (IHP) of the Office, whilst ensuring their consistency with the national and regional priorities, as well as key United Nations (UN) development frameworks, such as the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF).
- Direct the conceptualization, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of work plans and regular and extra-budgetary initiatives and activities whilst also giving consideration to the need to identify inter-sectoral opportunities in order to build synergies and maximize resources.
- Participate in joint UN programming activities related to natural sciences and pursue and maintain strategic partnerships to promote the technical contribution of UNESCO to the UN Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF). Common Country Analysis (CCAs), Country Programme Action Plans (CPAPs) and related UN Country Team working groups in an effort to advance programmatic work.
- Establish and maintain professional networks and strategic partnerships with stakeholders including donors, universities, development partners and National Commissions to promote collaboration and enhance visibility for the Organization.
- Lead the resource mobilization effort and foster funding alternatives for the Region and countries by developing concepts, project proposals and other agreements in line with the Natural Sciences programmatic agenda and the Regional strategies.
- Ensure the efficient execution of budgetary resources allocated to the Natural Sciences portfolio of the Office, as well as, lead and provide technical backstopping to Natural Sciences staff and supervision to other contracted personnel and temporary assistance engaged in the delivery of key Programme outputs.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in the field of Water Sciences or in another related field of the Natural Sciences.
- A minimum 10 years of progressively responsible, relevant professional experience in the areas of water resources, water resources research, hydrology, of which at least five years acquired at the international level.
- Solid work experience with water science education, training and/or research on water natural resource utilization and management.
- Demonstrated partnership development and fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, managing and motivating staff and teams.
- Strong conceptual, analytical and organizational skills.
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- Proven ability in planning and organizing training courses, projects, as well as in assisting in the establishment of international/regional water centers.
- Proven resource mobilization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships within a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to prepare high-quality documents and reports.
- Good IT skills including knowledge of Office software.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Fair knowledge of French (written and spoken).
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in the field of Hydrology, Water Resources engineering, Environment, Ecology or Natural Sciences.
- Studies in water-related environmental, geophysics or physical geography with a specialization in hydrology.
- High-level university teaching experience and/or service in developing countries.
- Work experience within intergovernmental organizations and within government in the water and ecology sector in different regions of the World, particularly in Africa.
- Work experience with Earth and water-specialized agencies of the United Nations System, professional NGOs and/or international organizations for technical cooperation.
- Leading or managing international water networks worldwide.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Knowledge of other official UNESCO languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.