Team Leader - Livelihoods
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Team Leader - Livelihoods
About the Job
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long-term focus on social cohesion and resilience building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals from both refugee community and host communities to prevent and reduce protection threats and build resilience.
The objective of DRC’s Economic Recovery programme is to develop and strengthen assets and capacities of PoC to increase their self-reliance and reduce their socio-economic vulnerabilities. The activities include: 1) Counselling 2) Transferrable and soft skills trainings 3) Vocational skills training to improve and/or diversify vulnerable peoples’ skillsets so they can pursue livelihood opportunities that increase their ability to adapt and cope with shocks 4) Productive asset support 5) Entrepreneurship support through skills training and business grants, cash for work support, wage subsidy schemes, implementation of long term Turkish language courses, Technical and Vocational courses, among many. Besides, DRC is implementing specific networking activities to link job seekers to available job opportunities and to promote sales and marketing of small producers through job and product fairs within the respective markets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
•Manage DRC’s Antakya livelihood team members to ensure a timely and proper implementation of the current project activities under the existing fundings.
•Deliver support and guidance to the livelihood team to ensure quality of the support provided while identifying capacity needs for the staff.
•Ensure proper planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC Turkey office.
•Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s Economic Recovery programming.
•Prompt reporting of challenges and mitigation plans to Livelihoods Manager-West at the field office level.
•Regular reporting to Livelihood Manager-West (cc; AMs and Economic Recovery Coordinator) where needed.
•Coordinate with DRC’s partners such as Orange and ABIGEM to maintain a healthy relationship with the center coordinators while conducting regular follow up visits and meetings to ensure a quality implementation of project deliverables.
•Coordinate regularly with Orange’s livelihood center coordinator for the planning of transferrable, soft skills, HBB trainings.
•Strictly monitor the implementation and progress of the Productive Asset Support (PAS) component with Livelihood officers and assistants as well as relevant staff from DRC’s partners.
•Contribute to weekly and monthly narrative reports where needed.
•Represent DRC in provincial level sector meetings in the absence of Livelihoods Manager-West.
•Maintain a strong and healthy relationship with DRC’s service providers for Turkish language courses and Vocational trainings courses to ensure a successful implementation of the courses.
•Actively participate in the weekly and quarterly programme meetings.
•Conduct regular site visits and/or set remote meetings with the field team to ensure successful implantation of the activities.
•Perform any other Economic Recovery programme tasks given by the direct line manager
Sector responsibilities: Counselling, Transferrable Skills Trainings, Soft skills trainings, Job Referrals activities, Home-based Productive Assets Support(PAS), formal entrepreneurship support also through business skills training and distribution of business grants, organize and/or supervise vocational trainings, organize Job Fairs and Product Fairs, monitoring and reporting of activities planning and implementation, market mapping in coordination with Market Unit at the Country Office.
Geographic scope: Antakya
This role has a focus at DRC Antakya field office area of operations and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the location. The role contributes to the development of field strategies related to the activities implementation, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or supervision to field operations while overseeing field activities.
- Lead and manage the team (including staff recruitment, planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities
- Ensure daily monitoring of field locations under s/his responsibility
- Asses the daily quality of service provided.
- Provide guidance to staff of DRC and Partner organisations on best ways to conduct activities
- Provide supervision, guidance and monitoring of programme staff, ensuring clarity over programme plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of programme objectives, and provide opportunities for feedback
- Build staff and partners capacity on good Economic Recovery practices based on identified needs and capacity building plans
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
- Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
- Oversee DRC and implementing partners’ daily activities and budget expenditure of livelihoods activities in accordance with agreed work plans.
- Regularly travel to field sites and centers to ensure activities are on-track and provide guidance to field staff in line with existing protocols and guidelines.
- Track and report the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports according to DRC, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Ensure confidentiality and data security controls processes are in place and complied with by Economic Recovery staff (including the staff of the implementing partners)
- Identify and advocate for opportunities to mainstream and expand Economic Recovery activities.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant working group and cluster coordination meetings when required
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors as planned by management
- Maintain positive relations with the implementing partners and ensure all issues, implementation delays, etc. are addressed in a timely manner, including through providing operational coaching and support to the partners
- Support Livelihoods Manager-West in identifying partnership opportunities also with private sector actors, and liaising with Turkish institutions and local authorities, local NGO partners and CBOs concerning livelihoods activities and project implementation;
- Promote relations and coordinate activities with other humanitarian actors, donors, UN, and civil authorities in area of intervention in the absence of Livelihoods Manager-West.
- Support and provide inputs on livelihoods programme development initiatives in coordination with Livelihoods Manager-West and Economic Recovery Coordinator: propose ideas to programme team for feedback and proactively identify opportunities based on needs assessment and gap analysis.
- Analyze and report to the LVH manager (cc: Economic Recovery Coordinator and AM), new regulations related to the access to education and job market for Syrians and follow up the implementation of those regulations in the assigned location to design adequate programming and report to LVH manager and Economic Recovery Coordinator
- Ensure that a risk analysis in the area of intervention is in place and regularly updated.
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up to the LVH Manager-West.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution and regularly report challenges to LVH Manager,
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
- Follow up and monitor contracts with service providers in close coordination with Livelihoods Officers
- Ensure familiarity of Economic Recovery Staff with DRC’s Operational Handbook.
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for management of employees under his responsibility
- Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
Initiating the recruitment of employees and conducting performance appraisals are permitted at this level, but are closely overseen by the next-level manager.
To be successful in this role, you must have bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, social sciences, development studies, international relations. Master degree or higher in international development, economics, business administration or other relevant fields is desirable
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required experience and competencies
- Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, with experience in the field of humanitarian response with special focus on livelihoods intervention, working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
- Minimum 2 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO or a UN Agency.
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English and Turkish, or English and Arabic, knowledge and proficiency of a third language is a string asset.
- Field experience; experience in working in Southern Turkey is an asset
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 Months (renewable dependent on both funding and performance)
Employment Band: G
Designation of Duty Station: Antakya
Start date: 19.07.2021
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 22.06.2021
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.