Nutrition & Office Manager - West Pokot
The IRC led a multi-agency program of operational research to develop a simplified combined protocol for the treatment of severe and moderate acute malnutrition (Combined Protocol for Acute Malnutrition Study- ComPAS). The ‘Combined Protocol’ was tested in a rigorous RCT in two countries: South Sudan and Kenya. The IRC is recruiting a Nutrition Manager to be part of the Team to advance this protocol through an operational Pilot in West Pokot County. He/she will lead the day-to-day pilot implementation.
Under the supervision of the Nutrition Coordinator (Technical Manager) and the Field Manager (administrative manager), Nutrition Manager shall be responsible for the overall implementation of the nutrition program in Westpokot County through systems support for the pilot of COMPAS protocol to the drought affected populations. IRC will implement COMPAS protocol to treat acute malnutrition in children under the age 5years and while using the standard IMAM guidelines to treat acute malnutrition in pregnant and lactating women, working closely with the MOH in Westpokot.
The IRC will also support the MOH in promotion of mother infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) through the community health volunteers. He/she will be responsible for leading nutrition activities, working with nutrition partners in Westpokot to pilot the Simplified approach while ensuring the daily running of activities The role will include close co-operation with local authorities and partners including INGOs and UN bodies.
- Work with MOH to Plan, strategies and implement the COMPAS pilot in Westpokot while Supervising and coordinating the implementation and monitoring of nutrition project activities in line with proposal targets and work plan timelines.
- Provide technical assistance, supervision and mentorship to MOH and partner staff in screening, outreach, COMPAS, MIYCN.
- Participate in inter-agency coordination at field level and represent IRC with local authorities when required.
- Provide periodic reports as needed.
- Lead and coordinate any nutrition assessment e.g., SMART, SQUEAC assessments
- Participating in Nutrition Cluster meetings, conduct nutritional surveillance based on agreed methodologies including surveys, process monitoring, SMART, LQAS, SQUEAC and other rapid methods.
- Train MOH and program staff on COMPAS
- Plan and actively involve the community in marking recognized nutrition promotion related days e.g., malezi bora.
- Coordinate the day to day running of the Westpokot operations and collaborate closely with the Field Manager for support.
- Attend all health and nutrition coordination meetings and management meetings in the field.
- Actively participate and initiate program design and development through proposal development.
- Monitoring and supervising nutrition program staff to ensure work is performed efficiently.
- Routinely supervise staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Review personnel issues and concerns and assist with resolving and implementing solutions.
- Participate in recruitment and retention of nutrition program of staff as appropriate.
- Foster integration of the nutrition program with other IRC programs in West Pokot .
- Directly supervise the nutrition team in the performance issues and conduct PMEs.
- Work with the supply chain team to develop accurate and timely weekly, monthly, quarterly nutrition program procurement plans.
- Monitor utilization of IRC nutrition supplies; supervise and track IRC nutrition sector assets and ensure timely reporting to WFP and MOH.
- Review of all nutrition program purchase requisitions and program transport request.
Monitoring and reporting
- Work with MOH to supervise and make sure nutrition performance indicators are within the recommended standards. produce donor and program related reports in a timely manner.
- Compile weekly, monthly reports and donor reports.
Finance and Grant Management
- Prepare spending plans for the program based on the available budget.
- Attend and participate in monthly budget review meetings, with records of updated expenditure records and spending plans.
- Ensure adherence to the nutrition program budget by reviewing expenditures and ensuring compliance to donor & IRC financial policies.
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact on budget adherence.
- Perform any other duty as advised by the supervisor.
Key Result Areas
- Successful roll out the COMPAS protocol in West Pokot and successful implementation of the nutrition program.
- Supervise and ensure improvement and maintenance of public health nutrition performance indicators as per SPHERE/MOH WHO standards
- Supervise all nutrition program expenditure against budgets and ensure an appropriate burn rate.
- Ensure steady supply of all nutrition Therapeutic supplies in liaison with MOH.
- Ensure nutrition surveillance and assessments are continuously conducted.
- Timely submission of program reports monthly and donor reports.
- Continuous capacity building of nutrition staff.
- Represent IRC in nutrition & other partner meetings.