Gender Specialist and Gender Seal for RBAP coordinator
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home uponcompletion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
Due to the COVID19 context no official travel is expected. If the context changes, the position may require to travel to provide support to country offices within the gender seal framework.
Addressing gender equality and women’s empowerment is a key aspect of UNDP’s approach to achieving its core vision. Gender equality and women’s empowerment are seen as goals in their own right and are also central to the achievement of UNDPs development mandate. UNDP is guided in its work by its Gender Equality Strategy 2018-2021 which details how UNDP works towards gender equality in each of the goals and key results.
The Gender Team of the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) is the institutional anchor of UNDP’s work on gender equality and women’s empowerment. The Gender Team provides policy advice and technical support to all of UNDP’s Bureaus and leadership on how to mainstream gender across all areas of their work.
The Gender Equality Seal is a corporate certification process that recognizes good performance of UNDP Country Offices and Regional Hubs in meeting global standards and delivering transformational gender equality results. The Seal generates incentives for solid work on gender equality and empowers managers and Country Office team to enhance our work to support countries’ gender equality goals. The Seal is envisaged as a learning platform that helps country offices/units to establish a baseline, fine-tune strategies, identify and address gaps and challenges, document innovation and showcase the results and impacts of interventions for gender equality.
The process of certification involves four stages:
1.Online pre-screening to identify gender gaps of the office/unit; 2.Action Plan for improvement design and implementation; 3.Final assessment to identify level of certification; and 4.Certification and Award.
The UNDP Regional Bureau for Asia Pacific– RBAP has commitment to increase the number of certified offices by 2022. For this the Gender Equality Seal will provide tailored support to 16 RBAP country offices prioritizing the following five pillars:
- Leadership and support to senior management for gender equality.
- Financing for Gender Equality: including gender budgeting in the country office and accurate application of the gender marker.
- In-house gender capacities: strengthening subject specific / thematic gender capacities, and gender mainstreaming for programme managers and programme staff.
- Strengthening programming for gender equality through gender portfolio reviews;
- Inclusive workplace environment for gender equality.
The Gender Seal RBAP support will focus in knowledge sharing and support between country offices to learn and apply good practices and promote cross learning and create platform for further expansion of the Gender Equality Seal across all the RBAP country offices.
The consultant will provide critical support to the BPPS/Gender Team under the direct supervision of the Gender Seal Programme Coordinator with matrixed reporting to the Asia-Pacific Gender Advisor based in the Bangkok Regional Hub
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
- Coordinate the implementation of the Gender Equality Seal in country offices in RBAP with the Bangkok Regional Hub, by ensuring the gender equality seal standards and certification steps.
- Coordinate and liaise with the Bangkok Regional Hub and the participating RBAP COs across all Gender Seal steps, including induction, baseline assessments, improvement period, reporting, and certification process.
- Implement tailored support service lines and support packages including the coordination and deployment of experts to support RBAP COs, based on Gender Equality Seal assessment results and in alignment with the Gender Equality Seal global proramme.
- Roll out and implement the gender seal learning package, including online coaching and mentoring for groups tasked with gender mainstreaming responsibilities, and facilitating workshops and discussions on relevant topics.
- Support the implementation of the Gender Equality Seal global programme.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
- Masters in a development related discipline including gender and development, or women’s studies.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of comprehensive knowledge in gender equality indevelopment organizations -multilateral, bilateral or NGOs.
- Relevant project coordination experience in gender equality, gender mainstreaming, gender and development and other related areas of work.
Required skills and competencies
- Knowledge on global gender mainstreaming standards for organizations and the gender equality and women’s empowerment goals with the SDG agenda.
- Experience designing, implementing and facilitating training programmes and participatory methodologies, particularly on gender equality and women’s empowerment related topics.
- Demonstrated coordination skills and experience liaising and coordinating with field offices/ projects across countries and regions.Knowledge on gender audits, evaluations, participatory techniques and capacity assessments for gender mainstreaming, and/or gender equality
- certification schemes is required.
- Proven capacity to produce high quality qualitative research and ability to absorb, analyze and synthesize large amounts of complex information within tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work with people of different cultural, ethnic and religious background, different gender, and diverse political views.
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Knowledge of gender equality certification schemes.Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking, and expertise in global genderequality and mainstreaming strategies;
- Previous experience with UNDP gender equliaty work at global, regional or country office level.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Proficiency in English for report writing;