French-speaking Energy experts
Energy access in humanitarian settings is a growing concern and is urgent to address in order to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the UN pledge to provide clean energy access to all in 2030. However, energy is not a formal priority in the humanitarian system and does often not appear in strategies and budgets of most agencies. Consequently, there is a severe shortage of energy activities and expertise in the humanitarian system.
NORCAP started deploying energy experts in 2018 and since then, the NORCAP Energy Team has grown to over 40 experts with currently 25 deployees on mission with our partners in Africa. This makes NORCAP the biggest provider of energy expertise in humanitarian settings. The growing needs in the Sahel region in the coming years, is why NORCAP is now currently looking to strengthen its team with more French-speaking, specialised persons who can help our partners build up their programs and meet the energy needs in their areas of operation. The roles will be based in Burkina Faso, Chad, Niger, Mali and Senegal or a roving mission to several Sahelian countries.
To complement our excellent team, we are looking for experts with different kind of expertise, but mainly energy solutions for household and community level, such as cooking solutions, solar power for community buildings, schools or households, as well as solar water pumping, minigrids and livelihood opportunities connected to energy solutions.
- Analyse energy use and needs in given contexts, and device solutions that can reduce fuel use and increase clean energy access in households, communities and community buildings.
- Work with colleagues on the ground to develop energy strategies that also consider health, safety, livelihoods, and well-being of the targeted populations.
- Involve and consult with the local government and the humanitarian or development organisations in the area.
- With an innovative mind-set, bring in new technology and new approaches to making a solution accepted by the community, as well as bringing in market-based or cash-based solutions.
- Provide training and support to staff in host agency, and to people of concern, on the energy solutions, safety and awareness (community engagement training can be provided by NORCAP if needed).
- Collaboration with innovative companies, private sector entities and financial institutions is encouraged.
- Support the host agency in identifying financial mechanisms to implement and maintain the suggested energy solutions.
Qualifications and required experience:
- An advanced university degree (Masters or higher) in cooking energy, engineering, environmental science, agriculture/forestry, sustainable development or related area with 6 years’ experience, OR 8 years’ experience with a first degree in the aforementioned fields.
- Experience in household or community level energy solutions.
- Humanitarian experience is a requirement, preferably from Africa. Experience with project development and energy strategies is a strong asset.
- Experience in the planning, design, budgeting and management of cooking or solar energy systems.
- Extensive knowledge of financial, regulatory and/or policy frameworks related to energy is a strong asset.
- Ability to meet reporting deadlines, manage budgets and complete quarterly and yearly reporting.
- Knowledge of the West Africa/ Sahel region is an asset.
Experience from any of the following areas will be an asset:
- Solar energy; like minigrids, microgrids and solar home systems.
- Protection, Gender based violence, Livelihoods, Deforestation, Agriculture.
- Cooking energy solutions
- Financing mechanisms in humanitarian contexts.
- Experience conducting energy needs assessments or similar assessments.
- Excellent English and French verbal and writing skills.
- Fluency in Arabic or other relevant languages would be an advantage
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with team members and multiple stakeholders at various levels
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in highly stressful situations and contexts
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Strong analytical abilities
Application procedures and CV registration:
- Kindly submit your CV and application in English and include your full name as written in your passport.
- It is expected that you build a CV in our recruitment system by completing your personal information, education, professional work history, language skills, and other relevant sections in the fields available. Attached CV's will not be reviewed.