Senior Manager, External Relations/Chief of Party - Mozambique
Sofala Province Mozambique
Senior Manager, External Relations/Chief of Party
Role Overview: The Senior Manager External Relations role is a key managerial role in GiveDirectly Mozambique’s leadership team. Alongside the Country Director, the External Relations Manager will be responsible for donor reporting, developing and implementing GiveDirectly’s government and external outreach strategy to create awareness of GiveDirectly’s work in Mozambique. The External Relations Manager is also responsible for understanding and tracking in-country external risks and developing mitigations for these. Some of the role will also involve working with our communications team to provide high quality recipient stories. The role rewards exceptional understanding of local and national government in Mozambique, a highly autonomous work style, and the ability to develop strategically advantageous relationships.
Job Description: Responsibilities of the Senior Manager, External Relations/Chief of Party include
- Become a cross-country expert who can effectively disseminate key learnings and areas for improvement across our different areas of operation.
- Design and deliver discrete projects often within fixed and tight timelines at a predetermined operational quality bar
- Conducting desk/field-based recon to establish operational feasibility & view on main design features
- Inputting on design of initial pilot and assisting with set-up (e.g.gov’t permission, initial work plan etc)
- Develop relationships with national and local government officials to improve GiveDirectly’s cooperation with the government and build allies and champions for GiveDirectly.
- Track priority and health of our relationships and proactively design new strategies to improve our engagement with stakeholders.
- Represent GiveDirectly at national events and meetings at the national and local level.
- Support GiveDirectly’s expansion into new areas through securing national and local government approvals.
- Manage internal and external communication on sensitive issues relating to our program.
Manage complex discussions with national and local government officials.
- Develop concise reports for national and local government officials.
- Ensure reporting to government partners, and communicate important issues and recommendations from the government to GiveDirectly and vice versa.
- Provide support to field teams that guarantees adherence to national and local government guidance and protocols.
- Identify possible future risks and areas of non-alignment and work with different teams to implement preventative actions.
External and Media Relations
- Craft external media or government-facing talking points and messaging for various GiveDirectly projects.
- Develop strong relationships with key members of the local and national Mozambican media, including bloggers and other influencers.
- Source story ideas from across GiveDirectly projects and translate them into compelling and effective content for media pitches.
- Serve as a liaison between the communications team in NYC and local program team, both proactively and reactively (i.e. regular calls and document sharing with the Comms team, as well as being the primary point of contact if an incident should occur which requires media outreach).
- Work closely with the program manager to monitor Community relations risks and provide mitigation alternatives that cushion GiveDirectly from reputational and existential risks
Community Outreach and Community Partner Management
- Monitor social media and online media data to ensure that the right messaging around the organization is being delivered. Liaise with the internal audit team on any risks flagged from field investigations that have program or Government relations risk
- Liaise with community partner organizations, effectively owning routine dialogue on behalf of the Country Director.
Qualities we’re hiring for:
- Exceptional management consulting and/or project management track record at a high-performing organization
- Strong operational acumen (including the ability to rapidly get up-to-speed on GD field model) & penchant for problem-solving in contexts with a limited pre-existing playbook
- Deep ownership mindset (i.e. the default assumption that when you identify a problem, you’re likely going to be the one to solve it!)
- Willingness to travel and work from differing working locations, some of which will be remote
- Passion for the role cash transfers can play in giving recipients choice & driving impact at scale
- Strong alignment with GD values
- A team player with strong leadership, interpersonal skills and professional experience;
- Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral proficiency in English, and preferably Portuguese and/or Sena (or other local language); and,
- Excellent past performance/job references.
- University Degree in a relevant field
- 7-10 years experience in the development sector
- Demonstrated success in a high-performance work environment
- Strong interest in advancing the values and mission of GiveDirectly
- Exceptional communication, organizational, and analytical skills
- Ability to approach tasks with resourcefulness and to work in a highly self-directed manner
- Ability to manage day-to-day operations while simultaneously building more robust, efficient systems
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**