Logistics and Housing Intern - Fall 2021
Baltimore (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee, Inc. (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to rebuild their lives. The IRC in Baltimore was established in 1999 and currently serves over 2,500 immigrants and refugees per year.
Scope of Work
Securing safe, clean and affordable housing for new refugee arrivals is a critical part of the IRC’s holistic and integrated approach to resettlement. The intern will support the logistics specialist in planning and delivering essential housing program activities. This includes shopping for supplies, setting up new apartments, meeting with partners and volunteers, and conducting home visits and orientations with new clients.
- Learn about the refugee resettlement process in the U.S., and specifically in Maryland.
- Learn about the challenges and opportunities to securing safe, clean and affordable housing for new clients.
- Gain experience working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Under the direction of the intern’s supervisor and as COVID-19 safety precautions allow, assist in preparing apartments for arrival, including shopping for household necessities, unpacking items, arranging furniture, etc.
- Support the resettlement team with long term projects such as research on in-kind donations, developing orientation materials, etc.
- Assist with in-kind donation delivery and management at the IRC office and nearby storage unit if and when in-person activities resume.
- Other related duties as assigned.