Community Engagement Intern - Fall 2021
Baltimore (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee, Inc. (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to rebuild their lives. The IRC in Baltimore was established in 1999 and currently serves over 2,500 immigrants and refugees per year.
Scope of Work
The community engagement intern will support the activities of the volunteer programs at the IRC. The volunteer program supports incoming refugee students and families to succeed through community integration. Volunteers in the program provide mentorship, supply donations, and logistical support. The community engagement intern will work closely with the program coordinator to assist with volunteer recruitment, training, processing and communication.
- Learn how community members can support humanitarian immigrants in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
- Learn best practices for operating volunteer programs, including recruitment, placement, management, and data tracking.
- Learn how to provide culturally sensitive support to youth, parents/guardians, and community partners.
- Assist with finding and sharing community resources or events with program volunteers.
- Support facilitation of weekly evening tutoring and mentoring program.
- Assist with conducting volunteer training sessions and program surveys.
- Assist with required documentation such as case-noting and case file preparation.
- Other tasks as assigned.