Youth Case Management Intern - Fall 2021
Baltimore (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee, Inc. (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to rebuild their lives. The IRC in Baltimore was established in 1999 and currently serves over 2,500 immigrants and refugees per year.
Scope of Work
The youth case management intern will support the activities of the youth program at the IRC. The youth program supports incoming refugee students and families to succeed in U.S. schools through providing orientations to the U.S. school system, facilitating parent engagement in their children’s education, and supporting public schools to serve refugee students. The IRC youth program works in close partnership with the Refugee Youth Project at Baltimore City Community College, Soccer Without Borders, Baltimore City Public Schools, and Baltimore Country Public Schools. The youth case management intern will work closely with the youth services team to provide direct services to refugee families.
Youth Caseworker or Youth Services Coordinator
- Learn about the refugee resettlement process in the U.S., and specifically in Maryland
- Learn about the school registration process for refugee students in local public schools.
- Learn how to provide culturally sensitive support to students, parents/guardians, and schools.
- Assist with all youth case management activities, including school registrations, appointments for immunizations, home visits, and other referrals.
- Assist with required documentation such as case-noting and case file preparation.
- Support facilitation of weekly evening tutoring and mentoring program.
- Other tasks as assigned.