Health and Intensive Case Management Intern - Fall 2021
Baltimore (United States of America)
The International Rescue Committee, Inc. (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to rebuild their lives. The IRC in Baltimore was established in 1999 and currently serves over 2,500 immigrants and refugees per year.
Scope of Work
Intensive case management interns will assist IRC’s intensive case management (ICM) team with daily activities that support the long-term integration of refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants in the Baltimore metropolitan area. The ICM program supports vulnerable clients for a period of twelve months, with a particular focus on medically vulnerable clients. The intern will work with the ICM team to connect at-risk clients to the healthcare, education, resources, and psychosocial resources that support their individual goals.
Special Needs Care Coordinator or Program Manager
- Gain an understanding of the U.S. refugee resettlement process and services available to clients in Baltimore.
- Learn how to effectively facilitate and advocate for clients’ access to timely and culturally responsive medical care and supportive services.
- Learn how to identify, adapt and create culturally appropriate health educational resources and services for clients.
- Assist clients with remotely arranging transportation to medical and other required appointments.
- In coordination with the ICM team, conduct virtual home or community-based orientation sessions on topics relevant to ICM clients such as using public transportation, making medical appointments, accessing community resources, etc.
- Assist with service documentation through case-notes and case file maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.