Finance Specialist – AP/AR
LocationMedair Global Support Office (GSO), Lausanne, Switzerland.Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
The Finance Officer Specialist supports many of the financial activities of Medair (GSO and Field Finance) in Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff. The Finance Specialist is responsible for providing accounting, clerical and administrative services to ensure that accounting and financial information related to Medair GSO and Field Finance is maintained timely and accurate at all times.
Key Activity Areas
Book Keeping – Accounts Payable (GSO)
- Collecting and processing invoices that come into the Invoices inbox.
- Verify the correct dimensions and approvals have been given from budget holders.
- Verify that all Medair’s policies regarding the invoices have been followed.
- Booking invoices in the Finance System. Preparing monthly bank reconciliations.
- Preparing schedules for payments and update accordingly the GSO cash forecast tool
- Collecting appropriate dimensions for incoming bank credit advices and post these bank gifts and income, and receivable amounts into appropriate general ledger accounts and banks.
- Download electronic bank statements from UBS and PostFinance e-banking portals as well as other income collection portals (such as SIXT, Paypal, BVR) on a daily or regular basis and upload them on shared intranet for Marketing & Relationships department (MNR) to process private funding gifts into Sales Force.
- Booking private funding gifts (Donor instalments) based on coding received from Engagement department.
- Match and clear each individual bank receipt entries against the relevant customer/vendor receivables in Navigator.
- Make relevant clearing journal entries into Navigator to reconcile pending clearing entries and reconcile the pending account on a regular basis. Management of incoming invoices: pre-booking and distribution.
- Reconcile each of the GSO bank accounts on a monthly basis and provide monthly bank reconciliation statements for closing process.
- Download electronic bank statements from UBS & PostFinance e-banking portals on a daily basis and save them for bank reconciliation process. Download UBS bank situation on a daily basis & save them for daily cash flow review.
- Enter Exchange rates into Navigator on a monthly basis.
- Provide support and/or perform other related finance and accounting tasks and assignments as required and requested by your supervisor.
- Support the GSO finance team for monthly, quarterly, and the annual financial closing process with the tasks.
- Work with the Financial reporting & treasury manager on specific projects.
Field Expenses Coding & Control
- Responsible for checking and posting of weekly/monthly field expense batches.
- Reviewing field expenses coding and posting into the accounting system.
- Controlling recurring entries for the Country Programs booked at GSO.
- Making books adjustments as required as part of donor report preparation (“Reclasses”).
- Control that recurrent entries (depreciation, prepayments, Labor Report, etc.) booked at GSO are done properly and reconcile.
- Support the preparation of GSO budget and reforecast, in close collaboration with different key stakeholders and under supervision of Financial reporting & treasury manager.
- Prepare monthly financial analysis on GSO expenses (budget vs actual).
- Keep Medair GSO Accounting Policy & Procedures Manual up to date to ensure that it complies with current policies, procedures, and the internal control system.
- Ensure that a clear and transparent paper trail is adhered to for all financial transactions and that all filing and archiving is in line with Medair and donor requirements which follow international accounting standards.
- University degree in related subject.
- Certificate in business administration and or accounting/book keeping.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Good speaking knowledge of French.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- 4 years’ experience in a finance position.
- Experience with processes and procedures understanding and their implementations.
- Experience in accounts receivable function would be an added advantage.
- Problem solving ability and improvement driving skills.
- Competent with administrative tasks. Organized and structured. Good attention to detail.
- Computer literate with very good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Experience with accounting software.
- Experience in working with fund accounting software would be a plus.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Strong Christian commitment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality concerning staff members and customers data and organization’s critical financial information. Enjoys challenges and works hard to achieve objectives.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering data.
- Willingness to work in a multi-cultural team. Able to prioritise work to meet deadlines.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to work independently and take initiatives within a consultative framework.