Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 5LBED0019RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Beirut
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 23-JUL-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education and the direct supervision of the Director of the Beirut Office, the incumbent of the post will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of UNESCO’s Regular Programme Activities as well as extra-budgetary projects in the fields of Education for the Arab States, and country-level interventions in Lebanon, Syria, and Yemen. He/she will contribute and support the effective implementation of the UNESCO Education Sector Strategy and will also play a significant role in policy and strategy direction of the office, in resource optimization and mobilisation. Within this context, the incumbent’s main activities will be to:Long Description
1. Policy advice
- Initiate evidence-based policy development, especially (but not limited to) in the areas of quality basic education, learning loss, alternative-learning, and sustainable inclusive education.
- Develop recommendations by collecting and analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data and providing technical backstopping to the field offices.
- Assist Member States and field offices with guidelines, concepts, and tools to prepare and discuss education policies, including contribution to policy papers and technical background documents, analysis, and program evaluation.
- Spearhead technical assistance and policy guidance to the Member States and to the field offices in the region on ongoing global and regional trends, especially in the area of digital solution including online and blended teaching and learning, experiential learning, digital divide (including education models to enhance inclusive education), and the use of Artificial Intelligence.
- Provide technical insights and lead development of policies, frameworks, policy research, tools, and offer institutional capacity development services to the Member States in the above said areas.
2. Programme design, management, and assessment
- Establish partnerships considering ongoing trends on digital solutions, online/hybrid teaching and learning, and learning loss.
- Conceptualize, design, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor, and implement education programmes by identifying strategic issues, opportunities (including active partnerships with the private sector), and risks to effectively integrate them into UNESCO’s efficient and effective technical assistance for reinforcing the progress towards Education 2030/UN SDG 4 agenda in the Arab States.
- Conduct research and analyze data to evaluate and report on projects, programmes.
- Ensure the preparation of reports on the implementation of programmes and projects and other briefings as may be required by the office, field office, or headquarters.
- Design and coordinate the implementation of capacity development efforts for strategic planning in education and provide technical contribution to sub-regional organisations, as well as technical backstopping to the field offices.
3. Networking, Communication, Knowledge Management, and Partnerships
- Identify key internal and external stakeholders, develop and maintain professional collaboration and partnerships at regional and national levels, especially in the areas of (but not limited to) quality basic education, learning loss, alternative-learning, and sustainable inclusive education.
- Coordinate and ensure high quality synergies with the key stakeholders both within and external to UNESCO.
- Ensure and maintain a consistent collaboration with UNESCO Offices and Institutes in the region, and relevant Sections/Units/institutes at HQs and globally.
- Contribute to UN joint programmes with other UN agencies and ensure efforts of UNESCO Beirut office are advocated, and adequately recognized by the UN country team (UNCT), UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (UNSDCF) within the UN reform process.
4. Resources Mobilization
- Mobilize extra budgetary resources with traditional and non-traditional donors, including private institutions, to support sector-wide planning, education policy analysis, research, education sector assessment and sector management among Member States in the region. Efforts are expected to align with country policy priorities, the regional Education Support Strategy and overall resource mobilization strategies of UNESCO, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by proactively engaging in fundraising activities;
5. Project, Activites, and Team Management
- Supervise, manage and lead a small multi-disciplinary team of staff/consultants and experts to respond in a timely and effective manner to requirements of internal and external stakeholders.
- Follow through on the dissemination of concrete results, including data visualization, ensuring adequate visibility and advocacy of works delivered through UNESCO Beirut office.
- Ensure professional, healthy, and ethical working environment.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in economics (with a focus on the economics of education), education, social sciences or closely related fields.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible relevant experience in the field of education, education and policy, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Experience and demonstrated expertise in planning, developing, implementing, managing and evaluating programs/projects in the field of education.
- Experience of initiating/managing education programmes using digital solutions.
- Experience in fund raising and resource mobilization.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Ability to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Strong quantitative, qualitative, and policy analysis, analytical/technical skills in economics and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build, develop, and maintain partnerships, and to coordinate, negotiate and deal with partners and networks in private and public sectors.
- Proven ability to support policy dialogue with government agencies (e.g. Ministry of Education), and with other stakeholders.
- Proactive attitude to challenges and flexibility in quickly adjusting to changing work program requirements.
- Ability to juggle numerous competing demands and priorities, respond quickly to internal and external client requests, and set realistic priorities for self and others.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representation skills.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Academic specialization in education policy and/or education economics.
- At least five years’ experience in Education policy development, organizing and managingof Education programmes preferably in several countries.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Good knowledge of Education systems in the Arab States, and good understanding of the educational and labour market issues in the Region.
- Good knowledge (written and spoken) of French.
Knowledge of Arabic.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.