Automation and Electrical Technician (TE-CRG-CE-2021-70-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Within the Cryogenics (CRG) group, the Control and Electricity (CE) Section is responsible for providing the controls and the electrical support for the cryogenic equipment. Control systems include:
- Programmable logic controllers that pilot various cryogenic equipment’s such as electrical motor for helium compressors, turbines, valves and electrical heater.
- Industrial instrumentation for various signals such as pressure, temperature, flow transmitter and level gauges.
- A collaborative direct support to the cryogenics operators (technicians and engineers) for fault diagnostic and optimization of thermos-dynamical process.
As an automation and electrical technician, you will join a multidisciplinary team responsible for the, support to the operation, design and construction of the LV (24 to 400V) electrical and process-control equipment dedicated to the CERN cryogenic system. In particular, after an initial period of training, you will:
- Participate in the electrical and the control projects (hardware and software upgrade) and support for the cryogenic equipment.
- Develop, construct, install and commission electrical and process control systems for large cryogenic plants.
- Organize consolidations, repairs and emergency fault detection, and intervene as member of a stand-by duty team.
- Supervision of the technical maintenance of industrial instrumentation.
- Manage the corresponding technical documentation.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of industrial controls, electricity or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience in industrial control automation (PLC) domains, in low and medium voltage electrical system and industrial instrumentation.
- Proven experience of commissioning and maintenance of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Previous experience in fault diagnostic interventions in large and complex systems.
- Previous experience in stand-by-duty technical support in control automation and instrumentation would be an asset.
- Design of electromechanical systems: use of schematics design systems (SEE electrical software for example).
- Knowledge and application of cryogenic thermometry and instrumentation: configuration of industrial instrumentations for various signals such as pressure, temperature.
- Configuration and implementation of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems: such as PLC and fieldbus system or PLCs Programming.
- Installation and commissioning of large control systems would be an asset.
- Demonstrating Flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information
- Working in Teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.07.2021 at 12:00 pm CET (midday).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-CRG-CE-2021-70-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technician